Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov loc problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2L Jimmy, May 7, 2002.

1. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Howdy,

I have a gov loc in my 10-bolt rear but it isn't functioning anymore (never has since I owned it) and I would like to know what is involved with fixing the problem. What could be the cause? Does the whole diff. have to come apart? Any how to's would be appreciated alot.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Replace it.

The money spent fixing a Gov Loc could be MUCH better spent buying a better limited slip or locker.

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Check your fluid level first.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you *sure* its not working right? No offense, its just that they do not work as most people expect or imagine. http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/posipictures.html the last two images. Right on one of those pages I believe it says replace unit if defective.

FWIW, randys ring and pinion wouldn't even *sell* me a replacement gov-lock, although they love the Eaton LS diff. They said too many problems. I was just checking to see how insane the price of them was, but they wouldn't even check lol.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is how you fix a Gov-lock. Take it out of your differential, find the biggest canyon you can. Get into a shotput stance and chuck that thing as far away from your rig as humanly possible. Then go get yourself a real traction device. I.E. Detroit, Auburn l/s, Eaton l/s, etc. If you are going to run 35's or bigger and romp them hard, then just trash the whole 10 bolt axle, and get a 14bff, 14bsf, or properly built 12 bolt.

About 3 years ago I jumped on the gas in my 85 with 10bolt & gov-lock, and it exploded. It ended up costing around $1000 for a new Auburn L/S and axle rebuild. Now I am kicking the crap out of myself that I didn't know about 14bff's then. I already have $550 (not completed) into my 14bff that is going into my truck this summer. I still have to get my new gears installed (trading my old 10bolt for gear install), redo the wheel bearings, ubolts &spring plates, and redo the brakes which will probably set me back another $450 or so.

So for about the $1000 I had into the 10 bolt, I could have had an axle that was 3 times as strong and not had to pay for it twice.

6. 6.2L Jimmy

Hey thanks for the responses.And especially thanks for the diagrams very helpful. I'll think about the shotput thing.LOL
    Thanks
    Mike...God I love this site

7. 6.2L Jimmy

One of my axle seals is leaking a bit..could this be the problem???Thanks
    Mike