Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gov lock again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Sep 13, 2000.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

O.K. Amigos. I replaced the spiders and put a new governor set in my factory gov lock the other day, and have a question. I know I'm not supposed to notice any difference between this and an open diff during regualar street driving, But The input I receive from this is very similar to an aftermarket locker. Inside wheel hop, Chirping, an occassional clunk. I am absolutely positive it is installed correctly the wheels are locking up below 20mph and going open above 20mph.This is actually a posi unit (clutches etc...) I put the special additive in the housing when I closed it up too. Why is it locking up instead of torque biasing like I think it should. Not that I really mind it, just curious.

"who dares wins"

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

No offense, but I would think that either something is not quite right or it needs time to "wear" in.

Come to think of it my Dads '82 T/A has a factory LSD and it binds under slow movements and backing up.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

Im not a mechanic, but from my personal observations from a 4.56 gear install in my 68s 12-bolt. I had the rear doing the same thing, I was told it was just because the clutch pack was in there nice and tight. That it would hold the two back tires under load better. I put a few dozen 10 sec runs on the car. Not to mention all the street racing with a 396 and a 4 speed. Not even a hint at a problem. I wouldn't worry about it........js

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Umm, i don't think my blown-up gov-lok had any clutches.... something is fishy here..... A tight LSD will do what you are saying. Some people make a practice of setting them up tighter than stock.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

A Gov-lock is not limited slip. The clutches are supposed to be either unlocked or locked - they are not supposed to slip. Sounds like something is wrong with yours. In '68, they used a regular Eaton posi, like they used in cars.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys. This gov-lock (option code G-80) is set up with spider gears, a governor set, and clutches. It's really a limited slip diff, just slightly more positive lock-up than a normal posi I think you get 75% from most posi's, this ones closer to 85%. I'm sure there are better ones out there, I just ended up with clutches. If they make a detroit c-locker for 28 spline axles, that's what's on the horizon for me, cost be damned!

"who dares wins"

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If it's a limited slip diff, you're supposed to add the little bottle of friction modifier.
    Just a thought.
    -- Mike

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    FYI, one of the requirements GM gave to Eaton, was to not have to run Friction Modifier in the new diff(now know
    as Gov-lock), also they specified no clutch chatter. And also the feeling that the driver didn't know it was there,
    especally durning sharp slow turns.(i.e. like an open diff.)
    So if you put that special fluid in take it out its not needed.
    Sound to me like your Gov-Lock is not working the way it was designed to.
    Sound to me like you did not put some of those lillte springs/rods/parts together correctly
    Sorry can't help you with that one.
    Good luck

9. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I got the limited slip additive from the dealership. It's supposed to prevent the clutches from sticking together. Autozone sells it too. I dumped it in there, then topped it off with 90 weight, and manually rotated the driveshaft a blue million times to be sure everything was good and lubed before I lowered it and test drove it. I don't know, I just don't want to be an hour away from home and have it give up the ghost. The new spiders may just need to burnish in or something. It's acting like a locker, and I know if someone boght a new blazer from a dealer with a gov-lock and it did this they'd flip. I doubt it did it new, It locks up great now, I just don't know if that's a good thing.

"who dares wins"

10. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Thanks executioner (macabre name) I didn't know. I figured if i needed it, great, if not, it wouldn't hurt. I only replaced the spiders and governor set, there's only one way it could have gone back together. Maybe the addative is causing it? I never messed with the side gears or carrier. Just rolled out my chewed up top and bottom spiders.

"who dares wins"

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, i thought all factory lsd's (actually, all lsds not just factory) required the additive. Now I know.
    How many different type of lsd's did GM use in their rear ends? I have a 14bolt FF that has a factory lsd, not sure what kind because I dunno what they are supposed to look like. I put in the additive.
    How would I find out?
    -- Mike

12. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I just got off the phone with the service manager at a local GMC Dealer. He and two wrench jocks he was with swear you have to add the little bottle of anti-friction stuff. But just to show you how much they know, they didn't have a clue why mine is locking up stronger than a new one. The thing drives great in straightaways and faster wider turns, just when you creep into a slow turn, the inside wheel hops and barks a couple times.

"who dares wins"

13. Executioner

Well since I don't know all the ones GM used, I can only say for sure(Fact) about the ones I do know.
    Late 60's to mid 70's GM used an Eaton LSD, with four spring, this one was designed to use Friction Modifier.
    Mid 70's to today GM is using an Eaton Gov-Lok, it is designed for gear oil, no Friction Modifier is needed.

How do I find out?
    The best way is to possativly i.d. the unit, then ask away.
    Good luck

14. Executioner

Well , maybe its in the governor set ? Or maybe it is not related to the spider gears, you replaced them because
    they were ?????

15. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

They were all torn up. The side gears were fine though. I've seen other k-5's (open Diff) with chewed up spider gears. Prior to the new gears and governor set mine handled like an open diff, now it feels like a lock-rite or something............weird.

"who dares wins"

16. MONSTR44

MONSTR44 Registered Member

IMHO A small spring in governer is in the wrong position.