Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gov lock how too???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buhlandy, Apr 28, 2007.

1. buhlandy

buhlandy Registered Member

hey um jw how can a gov lock be tested its for a 14ff.... and can it b rebuilt if the clutches are worn???? and do you use additive with a gov lock

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Gov-lock test: jack rear end off the ground, rotate one tire, note direction of other. Opposite/no revolution of opposite tire, it's not locked up. Good.

Next test, rotate same tire QUICKLY by hand and the other axle should lock in, and you'll know it.

As to lube, I'm too lazy to go search, but I *think* GM spec's GL-5, which already has some friction modifiers in it AFAIK. None called for that I've seen in manuals. It would NOT be surprising if the lube specs have changed since the introduction of the gov-lock.

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Dealer sells posi-unit lube.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I thought posi lube was for cone type diffs ?

All the Gov Loc's I have seen have had metal friction discs , and worked fine with just regular ol lube ( until they let go LOL ) .

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not just cone type, Eaton (and others) make/GM uses a flat clutch style as well. Anything spring loaded. Since the gov-lock isn't "preloaded" like the spring type posi-diffs (which bind the axles together at all times) it doesn't need anything to prevent clutch chatter when you corner.