Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GOV-LOCK IN FRT. DIFF.?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLUESMAN, Jun 23, 2002.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    OK, I went rock crawling yesterday and one thing I have to do is install a locker in the frt.(the rear is being welded up).I have an gov- locked rear 10 bolt, can I install the gov-lock in the front diff(also a 10 bolt)?Or should I just go buy a new locker?I was thinking of an "lock-rite" if I have to.Ideas??

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Gov-Locks in the 10 and 12 bolt axles are nothing but pure crap. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

If you have an open front dif, install the Lock Right as you won't have to mess with the gear pattern and backlash. Just easier to replace the spider gears. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">If he has a D44 then the lock right will not go in with the carrier in the housing. The cross pin will hit the ring gear when he tries to take it out of the carrier.

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Thanks!I was trying to take the cheap way out but thought I would end up getting a real locker.So the "lock-rites" are a good locker?

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I put a LR in a 10 bolt rear once and never had trouble with it. It also rode 35" tires. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Seriously, a LR in the front won't be of much hassle because the front axle is not used as much as the rear is.

Another thing: keep your lockouts unlocked at all times during street driving. If you go off roading and come back to town, with the hubs locked, you may have some difficulty steering the truck especially when accelerating from turns and corners.

I personally like the LR's as they are easy to install and I have not had one fail me yet. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The one I installed in the 10 bolt rear is still driving today and the kid abuses the truck every now and then.