Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov Lock question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I've got a question thats probally gonna sound real lazy :D

My K25 has a 14 bolt FF with a gov lock in it, I wanna get rid of it and go to an open diff, but not until I blow it up (too much work, and I already coated the diff etc) when the gov lock goes, how likely is it to damage the gears? When I swap to an open rear diff, I'll need to use the gearset from the gov lock rear, as the gears in the open diff are a mess.

What do you guys think? Will the gov lock grenade my gears when it blows?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

well.... its harder than you may think to blow up a 14bff Gov lock, doable, but the thing is way better designed than 10 bolt gov locks

as to what it would take with it when it goes... hard to say one way or the other

i would just wait till you have the time and money to do the swap, then do it properly without blowing anything up

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am kinda in the same boat. I have both carriers but cannot afford a Detroit yet so should I use the gov-loc? Sorry if this is hi-jacking. :D

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not hi-jacking when I am in the same boat :D

I've got two gov lock rear ends, and a open rear. One gov lock has a messed up gear set (no pinion, and surface rust on the ring gear), the other is in good shape (in the truck right now) and the open diff just has a terribly poorly set gear set in it (foreign pinion slapped in without setting the gear lash etc, pinion just so happens to have come from the second gov lock rear, but the gears look terrible, and the rear has a good 1/4 turn of pinion slack)

I am just concerned that I may break the rear, becuase there is bound to be some burnouts, tires spinning around corners and a lot of slipping around on ice in the winter...