Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov-lock strengh

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Sep 4, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know there not stong, But I got one in my 14bolt FF. The otherday I sal a 10bolt gov lock go into about 30 peices(destroided the entire carrier) I just wanted to know if I would do they same thing to a 14bolt or if there stonger? also another thing is I have heard with a 14bolt FF if you blow the gov lock you can pull out the peices and drive it as open im guessing thats if you dont break the carrier? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I got a 14ff with a gov lock and I abuse the sucker every chance I get. So far so good. I read that they are pretty strong especially compared to the 1/2 ton versions, but then again its probably hearsay. You can only assume that it must be considerably stronger tho, huh? I personally like my gov-lock. Until it fails I have not desire to switch to anything else, especially not a clutch posi.

mike

3. La Barge

La Barge Registered Member

tire size and right foot are the only problems w/ a 14ff gov-lok. doesn't compare to a 10 bolt since the carrier of the 14ff is bigger then the entire 10 bolt center section.
    i'm not a big fan of gov-locs,but i have seen alot of gov-locs, tru-tracs come apart, never a 14ff. after about 10 years of building rearends. not to say it can't happen good luck.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well its deffentally good to hear you havent seen a 14bolt gov-lock go in your time... and im not running big tires(just 33's) but my major consern is the right foot

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have one in my 14ff, it does ok. I run 35" tires and have not had any problems with it. I would imagine that the 14ff version, like a Detroit, is much different than the 10 and 12 bolt versions.

As far as if it grenades...I dunno. From what I have seen of mine, the gov-lock has its own carrier different than the normal 14ff carrier, and all the pieces of the diff itself are hidden inside the carrier. If that makes sense...you'd have to see one to know what I mean.

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep, id be much happier with a gov-bomb in a 14 bolt axle ff or sf then one in a 12 or 10 bolt axle, because i had mine go bad on me in my old 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif