Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GOV-lock to Detroit Locker upgrade

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by domator, Oct 20, 2002.

1. domator

domator Registered Member

I have CUCV with GM Corp. 10 bolt rear axle. This axle has gov-lock. I would like to change it for DetroitLocker. Am I going to have any problems with it ? I mean - should I find open differential instead of gov-locked for that installation ?
    Piotr
    1986 CUCV 6.2 NA D 35" BFG

2. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

You need a open not gov-lock to install the detroit. I don't think you can install the detroit in place of gov-lock.

3. domator

domator Registered Member

Why? I think Detroit comes with new carrier and whole differential. I think from my old axle I have to leave just axle shafts (case of course), bearings and that's all. Am I wrong ??

Piotr

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The 10-bolt rear axles are the weakest axle option out there. I personally would be worried about it breaking WITHOUT a locker. Adding a detroit is a bad idea, in my opinion.
    Option 1: Wheel it gingerly until it breaks (it will) and be glad you didn't spend any money on it. Then, get a stronger axle.
    Option 2: Ditch the axle now and install a stronger axle.

Yes, this opens up a can of worms such as not wanting to buy 8-lug wheels ($50 each, not a huge concern unless you want pretty wheels.) Also, have to use adaptor ujoint OR buy new driveshafts. It's worth it. Don't invest mnoney in 1/2 ton axles as you will regret it.
    -- Mike

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Just noticed you are in Poland. I have no ideas about how available bigger axles are.
    If they are not available, be forewarned that your rear axle is very much so your weak link. Adding a locker will only decrease it's TTE (time to explode.)
    -- Mike

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I disagree, the the weekest point of the 10B is the gov-loc. If he replaces it w/ an aftermarket case it will be stronger. He still may break a shaft w/ 35s but the Detroit will be fine.

7. bigjbear

joker, that is only for a 14B, w/ a 10B and just about every other axle, except a 2 1/2 ton Rockwell, the whole case is replaced.

8. bigjbear

Dominator, you need to decide now if you are going to keep the 35s and 1/2 ton parts. If you will be staying w/ the 35" tires I would recomend the Detroit and maybe some new axle shafts. If you plan on going bigger I would not put any money into the 10B axle, you would be better off using a stronger assembly.

9. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

Looks like your right. It's the 14 bolt that does not interchange. Sorry about that. Do you think the detroit would handle ok on ice and snow ?

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It will work great in snow. Ice will be a problem, though. When the locker locks, it causes the tires to turn at the same speed, possibly causing you to loose control. You will definately have to be more careful.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The gov-lock on all axles is replaced by the detroit locker except the 14bFF because it uses the existing carrier (that's why it's cheaper for the 14bFF /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)so yes you can replace it and you will get better/stronger performance, and if you only run 35"tires you should be fine.