Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gov lock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Aug 27, 2004.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

Just got a 03 1500 they said it had a locking rear diff. The glove box has the code G80. Is this a gov't locker. How long do these things last on a street truck with stock tires. Is this some thing i should look in to replacing in the furture?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I believe the newer ones are stronger . I don't think you'd have any problems , at least not while its under warranty . I know from AAM's website ( they make the axles ) they make lockers now , I just don't know if GM would use those , or still work with Eaton on theirs . If its a daily driver and won't see much lift and tire , I wouldn't worry yet /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

One trick to making Gov-Loc's live longer is do NOT allow a tire to spin. If you feel a tire start to spin, let off and apply the brakes enough to lock it up. The prime failure mode is when a tire spins really fast and then the little gear driven by the flyweight strips when it tries to engage the lock to stop the spinning tire.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

This what AAM puts in its axles for OEMS , found it on their site . Looks alot like the old Gov Loc , not very different , supposedly stronger . I don't like the BIG GAPING HOLE in the case , I think that makes it weaker /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[​IMG]

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW when I talked to Randy's Ring and Pinion, they told me they will not sell anyone the gov-lock, and that they still see problems with them on the brand new trucks.

Vehicle speed (in a roundabout way) and axle RPM differential are what make a gov-lock tick, stepping on the brakes doesn't work. The trick is to not let one wheel spin too FAST before it locks up. Of course, some come apart in the driveway, but mine have lasted me well. I just don't beat on them hard when I know only one tire has traction.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    FWIW when I talked to Randy's Ring and Pinion, they told me they will not sell anyone the gov-lock, and that they still see problems with them on the brand new trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah same with West Coast Differrentials.

I dont see how any of the new ones would be differrent. The one in the pic looks exactly like a gov loc. However, personally I have only seen 1 new body stylu GM with a blown rear. I think it was a 2000 GMC with a blown up gov loc. If you want to do preventative work instead of corrective work, go get it replaced with an Eaton Posi, no more worries! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif