Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov Lock?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Jul 4, 2000.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

According to the codes in my glove compartment, my 89 K5 has a Gov Lock differential. What is a Gov Lock? If I jack up the rear, should both wheels roll in the same direction? and should the front axle do the same? Also is the Gov Lock a good set up?........Thanks

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Its a limited slip differential and they usually break they should go in the same direction I think, but I know mine didn't. If your K5 has a lot of miles then it probably is worn out and doesn't work anymore.

3. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Both wheels do not go in the same direction. Also I have a popping noise coming from the rear end when the truck is driven for a while. Is that typical? I don't think this blazer has ever been off road and It has an original 75,000 miles on the clock.....

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well the Gov Loc has a Bad rap from people with big right feet. My 79 has a Gov and still doing fine with 280,000 plus miles. This is a limited slip and as such the wheels do not alwasy spin in the same direction. Mine will spin oposite but if I crank the wheel and floor it it will light them both with little or no trouble. The poping nosie I can't tell you anything about. Mine is silent and never made a noise since I have bought the truck. I would first check things like u-joints and slip joints before blaming the locker. A Gov will do fine if you have control over the right foot and stay to a max tire size of 33's. Just so you know my 79 is not queen, it's been to Tellico several times as well as Beasley, Allatoona, Rich Mountain, Mont Eagle, Tifftonia/Atena and a few lesser known trails in the southeast. It alwasy performed and locked within one reveloution of the free tire it locked both foward and reverse. Just don't get into mass tire spinning and it will be fine. Drive easy and learn to take the right line.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Good answer Grim! I ran a Gov lock in my truck for 4 years with tires up to the 35s I have now. I never had a speck of trouble with it, and always got good remarks from guys who saw both tires spinning. I did notice after running the 35s for a year that the locker was wearing quite a bit so I suspect it wouldnt have lasted much longver with the big rubber. It does have a bad rep, but I sure liked it. The only problem that I heard about them is that if they ever do pack in, they tend to go big and take the whole diff with them.
    BTW, my tires didnt turn in the same direction off the ground. Even now, with the Tru-trac, they spin opposite... I can get them to almost turn the same way if I really reef on the one into a spin, but its tough to do by hand.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

maybe I'm wrong but...wasn't the gov loc the governer controled spring wound limited slip that was used in the late 80? not the same as the regular clutch style limited slips used in the 70's and 80's? I had a 90 4x4 that had that "gov loc" and it didn't work. all my other trucks had the regular style limited slips. the gov loc would spin opposite. no tension to spin weight and wind up the spring and make it lock. like I said maybe I'm wrong but...

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!