Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov-Locked 10 bolt front? and 12 bolt rear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 16, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I pulled the cover to make sure these axles were 3.73s like they are supposed to be.

Upon pulling the 10 bolt front diff cover, I see a gov lock sitting in there, and an aftermarket stamped ring gear that says 41x10.

I go to the rear 12 bolt and turn the yoke, and both drums turn the same direction. I pull the cover and there are regular spider gears in it. So why are both sides turning foreward?

And on the rear ring gear it is stamped 37:9. That divides out to a 4.0. Whats up with that? A 4.0 ratio 12 bolt non posi that acts like one and a gov-locked front 4.10 from the same truck.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

37:9 would be more then 4.0. 9x4=36. Sounds like 4.10 to me. Sounds like you 3.73 axles are really rebuilt to 4.10 axles. The govlock in 10 bolts should swap rear to front no problem. For the rear, are the spiders fill welded maybe?

Have someone hold on tire of the 12 bolt and try and turn the other tire. If it only turns both equally and won't let them spin somewhat seperately then I would say someone welded the spiders. If not then I don't know.

Harley

3. mountainexplorer

I looked at the rear more closely. Just open. Must have just happened to turn the same way when I first spun the yoke.

I guess that the calculator I used (without thought) is set to round off, cause I just tried another calculator and 37 divided by 9 is 4.11.

I wonder if a set of 4.11 ratio 1/2 ton axles with a gov-lock front has any higher re-sale value.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Not to anyone who knows or want to really go offroading. The govlock is a bad design and is weak. To a light offroader or maybe winter driver looking for axles, a little lower gear, and a L/S then maybe yes.

I would sell them as a 4.10 axle set with front L/S. 4.10 makes it more desireable then 3.73 so you could get a little more money off that fact alone.

Harley

5. mountainexplorer

Yeah, I wouldn't trust a 10 bolt Gov Lock from the stories and pictures I've seen.

I had these axles sold as a pair of 3.73s for $300 and the guy is coming to get them tomorrow. But I have another set I can come up with by then to give to him.

I'll put the 4.10s in the next local ad for $400 obo and see what happens.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The reason bolt spun is there was no traction difference. The spider gears have some friction in them. If the difference in traction between sides does not create more resistance than the spider gear friction they both spin. Same thing can happen in mud, sand, wet pavement, or anywhere that both sides are getting identical traction. This causes a lot of people to mis-diagnose a limited slip.

BTW 37/9= 4.11111111 (as you mentioned) and the 41/10 stamp on the ring gear probably has some rounding also to save space and adjust for machining (like actually a 41.11/10)

7. mountainexplorer

Yeah...I was just getting ahead of myself and excited about the rear maybe having a locker or something. I figured if it did, I could sell this pair easy to someone locally.

The front 10 bolt ring gear just had 41x10 on it and then some part number. Neither ring gear (front or back) looked like factory GM, so I'm sure someone bought and installed 4.10s and stuck a gov lock in the front while they were at it.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I can't believe someone would waste the time to set up a front gov lock!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. mountainexplorer

You should have seen the way they (I'm assuming the same people) hung the exhaust system on that truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    the 41/10 stamp on the ring gear probably has some rounding also to save space and adjust for machining (like actually a 41.11/10)

[/ QUOTE ]
    The 41 and 10 are the number of teeth on the ring gear and pinion gear. I'm not aware of any machining process that will create an "extra" .11 of a tooth on the ring gear. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Having's 4.10's at one end and 4.11's at the other end will work just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif