Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov-Lok info. Didn't know this.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Gov-Lok info. Didn\'t know this.

I got my Off-Road Adventures(4wpw mag) mag last night. There is a GM axle info article in it and it has a little side article about Gov-loks. Bear with me I forgot the mag at home.

They say Eaton never called it a "Gov-Lok" and it is just a name that has caught on over the years for its governer locking mechanism. BUt they do state that the pre '75 "Gov-Loks" were more of a genuine locker! And they state the post '75 units are more a limited slip.

Anyone have one of both style(pre '75 and post '75) that have noticed a difference or can tell by looking?

I know that the Gov-Loks are not saught-after and most could care less, but I just thought this was kind of a cool thing.

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Re: Gov-Lok info. Didn\'t know this.

I have a brand new Eaton and they call it a Limited Slip at the shop I bought it. It works very well to the point where I even get a chirp out of the outside tire when doing a turn on the street. Only thing I can tell you is that it works much much better than the stock GM Gov Lock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

what does the carrier look like cause looking inside my FF have no clue what it is maybe a gov lock????? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Emmettology 101

14FF are hard to tell. Best way is jack it up and see how the wheels spin. If it is a Gov-Lok, they are supposed to spin in the same direction. Also on the 14FF, if you cant see any gears in there I think it would be a Gov-Lok. Hopefully Rene will see this, I think he has had both and maybe can tell what the visual difference is on the 14FF.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Gov lock in a 14 bolt FF has three recesses between the carrier halfs. The open carrier has 4 recesses.

The gov'locked diff will spin one tire the opposite direction unless you snap the tire quickly to engage the govenor weight.

Gov-locks suck ass.../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    BUt they do state that the pre '75 "Gov-Loks" were more of a genuine locker! And they state the post '75 units are more a limited slip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is BS. With all due respect to Jim Allen, I have seen him provide some pretty dubious "facts" before also. Prior to '75, GM used a regular Eaton clutch type limited slip. The Gov-lock, which has been used since then, is a type of locker. No Gov-lock was ever intended to operate as a limited slip, they are unlocked, or they are locked, or they are broken.

7. Emmettology 101

So did you see that article also?

I (I am probably goign to get flamed for this) liked the Gov-Lok that came with my 82 Jimmy. I beat the poop out of that thing! I even snapped an axle right at the carrier and the carrier survived.(i can explain more if needed) I was running a 10 bolt w/ Gov-Lok, 3.08's and 35's at the time. That diff never gave me a problem...

8. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    they are unlocked, or they are locked, or they are broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should read: they are unlocked, then they lock and then they explode.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

9. Emmettology 101

LOL.... Whats the weak link on them? THe carrier?

10. tRustyK5

The design is the weak link. It uses centrifugal force to lock a mechanism which is similar to dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm and expecting U-joints to survive. That's why when they grenade it's usually spectacular carnage.

Rene

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with your comment about Jim Allen. I've read lot's of his stuff and even though he tries to make you think he knows everything, I have found lots of wrong information in his writings on Chevy stuff. When he did the project Blazer build-up in one of the mags (can't remember which one) he had a whole article on how he came up with the idea to convert a front 10-bolt to 30-spline shafts by using Dana 44 stuff.....even though there were factory 30-spline 10-bolts. R
    Regarding the design of the Gov-Lock, in theory it's a good idea......basically a mild limited slip for normal driving on the road and then locking up when needed. I think the biggest problem is that higher mileage units have worn clutches that can no longer limited the wheel speed difference from side to side and then the shock load of the governor locking up breaks stuff. Another reason they have such a bad rap is that a lot of people break 10-bolts after adding big tires and horsepower, the Gov-Lock seems to be the weak point in this case. My first vehicle was an '83 S-10 Blazer and even with over 100,000 miles the factory Gov-lock worked great and would spin both back tires even when really twisted up. The factory Gov-lock that was in the '90 K5 would only spin one tire unless both were on close to equal surfaces.