Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov-Lok - need posi lube when changing fluid?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Feb 27, 2004.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

As the subject line states, doing a gear oil change on my 14BSF and want to know if I need the posi friction modifier additive with the Gov Lok? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As the subject line states, doing a gear oil change on my 14BSF and want to know if I need the posi friction modifier additive with the Gov Lok? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not positive, but I can check for you when I get home tonight in the shop manual.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Yes, new additive is needed.

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

It is my understanding that all posis that have clutchplates need the additive so I would say yes you do need it.

5. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I was told I didn't, so I didn't put it in. It doesn't seem to work too great but it does lock so who knows. Of course the oil I used is supposed to have the limited slip additive in it.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It is my understanding that all posis that have clutchplates need the additive so I would say yes you do need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I haven't checked yet, but my understanding was that this locker doesn't have clutches.
    It's supposed to be a locker not a limited slip with a governor that presses on cones and locks up.
    I will check the book tonight, I think I said too much already but remember it's what I was told... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

No additive is required with a Gov-lock.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Now I haven't checked yet, but my understanding was that this locker doesn't have clutches.

[/ QUOTE ]

14FF? Gov-lock

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oddly enough as a sidebar, that should be out of my '82 service manual. (could be out of the '86 prelim service manual though too) Anyways, I don't think a 14SF carrier looks anything like that, yet they state that is a 3/4 ton unit. My understanding was that in '82 OR '86, a 3/4 could get a 14SF or FF.

Somewhere in the manual I'm *sure* I saw it stated that posi additive was NOT to be used, but like I can find the manual right now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Good question, we always replace em with Eatons or someting cuz there junk, that is, if they havent already blown! I think it does need additive though

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

But Eaton makes the gov-lock! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm with you though. I'm going to try a 14SF gov-lock if I can find one, if that blows, I'll try a simple eaton clutch posi and see how that holds up in my truck. With only light wheeling, it should be fine.

last time I talked to randy's ring and pinion I asked them how much the gov-locks are to replace (since they sell eaton stuff) and the guy on the phone wouldn't even quote me a price, he said they wouldn't sell them, too many problems lol.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I'm with you though. I'm going to try a 14SF gov-lock if I can find one, if that blows, I'll try a simple eaton clutch posi and see how that holds up in my truck. With only light wheeling, it should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about the Eaton for the SF but for the 10 and 12 bolts, they make adifferrent clutch pack you can put in to make it tighter, and heavier springs(like 400 lb or so), I think the springs would be un nessary.

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've never put anything in my gov lock. The thing is worthless enough without friction modifier. I think if I added anything to the fluid, it might not work at all!!

14. Blazer1970

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by my statement. No additive with the Gov-lock.

Here is a quote from a post on the diesel page where someone e-mailed Eaton for info on this:

[ QUOTE ]
    oneton,
    You were right. I did email Eaton to get their recommendation on oil type and maintenance schedule. Here is their reply:
    "The newer GM trucks use synthetic oil that is considered lube for life in most cases. Depending on the year /make of your truck the GM manual may require you to change the lube after 500 miles of aggressive towing , as
    this condition works the axle (generates heat) the hardest. After initial
    towing the axle temperatures will no longer peak, and the new synthetic lube will last a long time.

You should stay with the lube GM recommends as other lubes, especially synthetics may cause G80 to lose capability. Some of these oils reduce the friction characteristics of the G80 clutch packs, increasing the slip
    between clutch discs, which will prevent the axle from locking. Never
    use friction modifier (additives) in combination with the G80 as they also
    increase slip between the discs."

John

[/ QUOTE ]

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wes, let's hear your take on this.

And I, like Dorian on this, will keep it as is until something lets go, then I'd probably go with a 14BFF. So far, it's been fine, works quite well for a predominantly street rig and has done a good job in the sand the half dozen or so times it's been out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not positive, but I can check for you when I get home tonight in the shop manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well just as I thought, and as someone already stated:
    Do not use friction modifiers with the gov lock is what the GM service manual says.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If eaton the manufacturer, and GM the truck maker both say you shouldn't then I wouldn't.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to try a 14SF gov-lock if I can find one

[/ QUOTE ] Mines for sale.

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about the Eaton for the SF but for the 10 and 12 bolts, they make adifferrent clutch pack you can put in to make it tighter, and heavier springs(like 400 lb or so), I think the springs would be un nessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen different clutch packs available for the Gov-lock. Eaton does make a regular ol' clutch type limited slip, which is simply named "Eaton Posi", that you can get different springs for, but it's not a Gov-lock (I've had both and they are completely different animals!).

Regarding the additive......you do NOT add any additive to the fluid for a Gov-lock. The Eaton Posi mentioned above also does not require additive.

19. Blazer1970

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen different clutch packs available for the Gov-lock. Eaton does make a regular ol' clutch type limited slip, which is simply named "Eaton Posi", that you can get different springs for, but it's not a Gov-lock (I've had both and they are completely different animals!).

Regarding the additive......you do NOT add any additive to the fluid for a Gov-lock. The Eaton Posi mentioned above also does not require additive.

[/ QUOTE ]

K5MONSTERCHEV was referring to the limited slip in his post. You DO want to use posi additive with the Eaton limited slip - not with the Gov-lock.

20. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    K5MONSTERCHEV was referring to the limited slip in his post. You DO want to use posi additive with the Eaton limited slip - not with the Gov-lock.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I bought a new Eaton Posi several years ago the instructions specifically said to NOT use any additive......