Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov-lok question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Oct 10, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I bought a second blazer a few weeks ago and just found that is has the dreaded gov-lok in it. I am not planning on putting anything bigger than 33's on this truck and since it will be mostly a daily driver it will probably be OK, my other K5 I am planning on turning into something a little more hard core. Anyway, how do I service the gov-lok, does it use additives, should I just use regular gear oil. Any usefull info and tips on how to keep this thing working would be appreciated. And yes I know it sucks and that I should throw it away but until I get something better I want to get the best out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well ill tell ya what...i had a 10 bolt govlocked with 33s and it worked fine apparently for the first 138k that the original owner had the truck, less than 4k with me driving it...so keep your driving easy and since its a clutch pack limited slip/locker, you should get some limited slip additive or friction modifier..

3. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I always ran gear oil with limited slip additive in it. I didn't blow mine up until one episode of real heavy bogging with 33" swamper radials. Worked pretty good before that.