Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov-lok rear & detroit front? Will it work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Jun 3, 2005.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 10-botl front axle with a detroit locker. I bought a 14-bolt that came with a gov-lok. Will this work? Is there a chance of blowing the front axle when the rear enganges? I was told it might cause the front to blow.

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Doesn't matter what you have in the rear, a locked front 10-bolt might grenade on you. That sems to be the opinion round here. That said, I know a few guys who run locked front 10-bolts hard and have never had a problem. If you wheel with your brain and not with your right foot, that 10 bolt should last. Gov-locks, often referred to here as Gov-bombs, are more of a liability. Get rid of the Gov-lock when you can and swap in a Detroit.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have wheeled mine pretty good with this type of setup, i have a Loc-Rite in the front of mine though, ran for awhile with a welder carrier in the front as well,no problems, except with steering.

I am very happy with my current setup, but would definately like a Detroit in the rear diff.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I've always heard that a 14's gov is much stronger in comparison to a 10's... and that they are usually up to the task. The DL in the 10 will probably be fine, especially if your not running very large tires.. and like mentioned, you go easy on the skinny pedal.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I think they are referring to using a locked front diff, with a Gov-Loc'd rear 14bff,,, can be done, thats the way i'm runnin, wish i had the detroit though,

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have an ARB up front and a Gov lock in the rear 14ff. For rock crawling the rear is worthless.

The front hooks up so well that the tires never spin enough in the rear for the Gov loc to work.

Detroit is in the near future.................