Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov Lok

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jun 30, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok...I know all of ya'll hate the Gov Lok, but I just found out my blazer has it, so I reckon I'm gonna have to learn to love it for now. Are there any benefits at all for it?? The way I see it, it has to be better than an open differential!?!?
    Oh yea, I've read ya'lls post about the Gov Lok and I'm sure ya'll are sick of talking bout it, but if ya'll could help me out here I'd appreciate it. [​IMG]

89 K5 Silverado

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 79 has a very tight Gov loc and never has it given me any trouble. What makes them get their "Granade locker" name is big tires and a heavy right foot. If your easy on it you shouldn't have any problems. I would say 33's are the absoulute max tire size. If you start spinning the rears back off. Drive with finesse and it will make you look like a champ. Now just so you know my 79 is stock with 32's and it has run Tellico several times with no troubles.
    The Gov has gotten a bad name but the fact of the matter is it's bad name was gotten by people doing bad things to it like 5,000 RPM in 1st and then catching a tire.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well I'm assuming I should be pretty safe seeing how for now I run stock with 31"s.

89 K5 Silverado

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The Gov Lok has given me no problems.

Brian

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Does the dealer have the special additive?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hey, some of ya'll who's had problems with the Gov Lok, what kind of problems do you have?

89 K5 Silverado