Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov Rick Perry on Concealed Hand Guns

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by babyburb, May 2, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Last night my local news reported that Gov Rick Perry is trying to get it passed to ease the restrictions on where you can carry a concealed gun with a permit. This would free up schools, amusement parks, and a few other establishments that has been restricted up to this point. Other than that I they did not report any more info.

Anybody know of any specific details on this?

2. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Nope, first I have heard. I will do some searching to see if I can find anything else.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

That's awesome.

4. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I have NEVER understood restrictions on concealed carry. If I am deemed ok to carry in my truck, and my shopping mall, and such things, then why would schools, amusement parks (???), and even the courthouse be any different.

5. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I have never understood either. This is my second full year in the education field and I feel more vunerable to elevated violence here than anywhere else. I teach emotianally disturbed teens and drive a school bus everyday. When I started this, I knew one day I would face the barrel of a gun. It hasn't happened yet but it would not suprise me if it does. I can't even carry a pocket knife dangit!:mad:

6. bigbluesuburban

That is absolutly obsurd. The bus company trusts you with the safety of the children with regard to traffic, but not with regard to each other or a highjacker. That is absolute crap in my book. If I were you and had my concealed carry permit... I would carry anyway.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya, i would to
    the whole idea of concealed carry is to never let anyone know you are carrying unless you need to draw your weapon.

so by that train of thought, if you are doing to right(unless there are metal detectors) you would never get caught carrying

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I know murderers are frequently not sane... but if there is any shred of reasoning skills left between their ears they are naturally going to be drawn to areas that are both: a) target rich and b) defenseless. That is exactly why schools, churches, city malls etc tend to be classic psycho-with-a-gun rampage sites. Its no coincidence that the higher body count rampages are at places like that. Elsewhere, the thug will get shot sooner. These evil ****ers intentionally seek out places where few are likely to fight back. One more reason that concealed carry should be legal EVERYWHERE in the USA, so long as you aren't a convict, a nut, etc. If a few teachers had had guns at Columbine or at VT, the body count would have almost certainly been lower.

j

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

exactally

10. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I couldn't agree more with you jek, I already carry at my church and just a few know I do. Schools that are a few years old (probably 5 or more) are completely defenseless against attack. The doors at my school cannot be lock from inside the room. You have to open it up, lock it with your key from the outside and then close it again. Two of my buildings has 3 entrances that can be accessed by anyone, and the building next to that has 5. None of these can stay locked because of how open our campus is and kids having to be in and out.

I do like the new schools being built with electronic entrances, double doors that have someone stationed at to allow people in, and the ability to LOCK DOWN the campus with little time. I know it is sad to have to send our kids now a days to a compound but other than arming the staff, what else could we do?

11. bigbluesuburban

Jek - I completely agree with your statement and want to add on thing. First off, I am so totally irritated with the media these days. During the entire VT fiasco there was the ongoing debate about 'student' having guns in schools. The media kept referring to students as though somehow a 21 year old college student is not an adult. It was as though simply being a student somehow makes a person less capable of making solid moral and social decisions with regard to lethal force. In just about every interview the anti-gunners would talk about how having 'students' armed was a bad idea. And the pro-gunners would never address the use of the term student as a segregatory term. I about shot my TV :mad: :eek1: :D ;) !!!

I do not know if you agree with me on this. And I am not trying to rip on you. But I did find it interesting that you did now suggest letting the students be armed

12. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

If you are 21 and pass the background checks and pass all of your test I do not think it would matter if you are a student or not. IMO

13. jekbrown

anyone else notice that you hardly ever hear of terrorists in Israel attacking schools with guns? Doesn't happen very often at all... and it ain't because the terrorists don't want to. Our schools don't need guard towers and machine gun bunkers.... it could be a lot more subtle than that. Just have state certified armed security and teachers having the right to pack on campus. Problem solved... and without any sandbags. :)

Good call on the "students" thing. Reminds me of the way the left wing kooks compile statistics about gun deaths in general. Some stats they keep, any person under the age of 25 is considered a "youth". A couple of early 20s gang bangers gun each other down in hell-A and the gun-banning nut balls use that as 'factual' ammunition against the rest of us. Its a joke.

Hannity had the guy who wrote "more guns, less crime" on his show right after VT. He talked a bit about media coverage on these kinds of things. I guess there was a kid who shot someone at his school... then started walking to a school near by to carry out his main attack. In the meantime, an asst priniciple ran a quarter mile to his car (it was only that far away due to dumb laws and parking conditions)...ran back... and intercepted the kid, forcing him to drop his weapon, get on the ground etc until the 5-oh arrived to bust him. This story got mentioned in 600-something media reports. Something like 20 of them mentioned that the vice principle thwarted the (rest) of the attack.... and only 10-ish mentioned that he used his own gun to do so. Not surprisingly, most of those 10 were local media... where the truth would have come out / been known etc. For the rest of the country, the reporting was ALL about sweeping the truth under the rug and furthering the we-hate-the-2nd-Ammendment agenda. Story comes on TV talking about a psycho kid with a GUN trying to kill people.... no mention of a private citizen using a gun to stop the attack.... how do you think dumb soccer mom voter percieves that situation?! The left is so transparent with their bullcrap that I honestly can't believe that so many people believe ANYTHING they say anymore.

j

14. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I agree wholeheartedly with you. I've had this same argument at work. Someone people were thinking "Well, if some teachers had guns...." In the case of VT, what makes a teacher/TA/professor superior to a student when lethal force is involved? Last time I checked, most college students are over 18, and therefore adults.

15. bigbluesuburban

In conjunction with this whole line of thinking... I can not for the life of me understand how we can ask 18 year old to join the military, be trained to defend our country and when they get back from a war zone they can neither get a concealed carry permit, nor purchase and drink a well earned beer. I don't mean to highjack at all. I just think that some of the double standards that are considered ok in this society are absolutly obsurd.

16. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I know there already have been some changes as to when you can carry WITHOUT a CHL.

17. jekbrown

missed the part about students being armed... I was thinking more about k-12 public schools with my 'teachers + armed security' comment. When you are talking college students, yeah... they oughta be able to pack heat too.

from what I understand, anyone caught on the VT campus with a concealed gun gets expelled right? Pretty obvious that: a) good guys care about their education and therefore won't risk it and b) psycho murderers don't give a **** if they get their degree or not.

j

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

As I am fresh out of my concealed handgun permit class I found out you can carry on campus. Or I should say atleast in Oregon. The school's rules can't be to a higher level then the State's law. If your state says you may carry on campus you can. if your dean says no weapons on campus...tough ****. I was actually getting excited as the instructor was listing the places I can and can't carry and how many i can carry. :)

19. bigbluesuburban

20. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'll have to find my notes. but you can carry into
    any school ( he actually has many teachers take his course)
    courthouse (unless they post no firearms on the door
    post office (unless that postmaster has the no firearms sign posted)
    IRS office is a huge NO, LMAO
    Banks unless posted otherwise
    any bar or tavern but he strongly told us all not to.