Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Govener

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 30, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was wondering if a govener is something that only lets you go up to a certain rpm? If it is, is it worth getting for off-roading so you don't stall? Thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you mean for a tranny? it tell the tranny who fast the truck is moving to alow it to shift at the correct spot.

the governer and the tv cable on the 700r4 have to work together.

on the th350 the governer and the vacuum from the motor tells it when to shift /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My dad said something about it a few months ago, and it must be soemthing different then what your talking about because I have a SM465, no auto for me. I don't really no what it is. Sorry If I've confused.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

If I'm thinkin along the same lines as what you're askin, a govenor limits the rpms of the motor so you can't over (not under) rev the motor. If that's not what you're shootin at then please do ignore what all I had to say. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I'm thinkin along the same lines as what you're askin, a govenor limits the rpms of the motor so you can't over (not under) rev the motor. If that's not what you're shootin at then please do ignore what all I had to say. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank goodness for CK5, thats exactly what I meant, im kinda tired tonight so I couldn't think of what it does. But yes, thats what I meant, thanks Allan. Anyone no anything about these? Good/bad.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, they're called Rev-Limiters /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

If'n I remember correctly usually they limit the amount of airflow into the motor. The one that comes first to mind is the stock turbo Corvair. I own one so that's why. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif They used a carb that would only flow so much air into the motor thus not allowin the motor to over rev. Other ways I think are chokeing the motor down with the butterfly. Anyways, that's just shootin from the hip type stuff. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan