Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GP Light dim when warm

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by alec78, Mar 10, 2003.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I did a search for this but didn't find anything. Simply, the dash GP light is on but VERY dim. I only see it after the sun sets. What does this mean?

Also I have seen posts about being careful when changing glow plugs. I've read posts about the tips breaking off but is there something else I should be watching out for?

Thanks

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Mine is the same way, has been that way for quite some time its on all the time but can only see it at night. I havent worried too much about it because its not closing the contacts in the gp relay. I also believe I have a ground issue with the dash.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Does it start OK when its cold. If it does, then dont waste your time and money replacing glow plugs, dont fix whats not broken.

4. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Starts so-so...Replacing GPs in a couple of weeks. Thank to both of you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

What year is diesel? (fill out your profile). Are you using an AC delco controller? My previous (non-AC) controller was doing some flaky things before I ditched it.

6. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Sorry about the profile, I'll get that fixed. I don't know what the controller is, I just bought the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif a month ago. I am going to test gp system this weekend (currently looking for the proceedure (sp)). I may toss it just to be sure.

7. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine is the same way, has been that way for quite some time its on all the time but can only see it at night. I havent worried too much about it because its not closing the contacts in the gp relay. I also believe I have a ground issue with the dash.
    My K30 does this too plus the gauges show a little strange sometimes.When I turn everything off it goes off and when I put on something like the parking lights the gp light dims a little /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I found the problem with my K-30 there were no ground wire from the battery to the body.Now everything works like it should. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif