Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GPS and military coordinates

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by LittlePig, Aug 11, 2000.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

DO any GPS units still provide position in military grid coordinates? I prefer using them with the topo maps I have, since I also have the miltary protractor to find the spot.

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

2. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

The military uses easting/northing and elevation while civilians use longitude/latitude and elevation. The grid coordinates that you refer too are the first three numbers of the easting and northing. They even use 4 digits to be more accurate.like E 4867 N 8978 EL. 1200 ft. I did this for 8 Years in the army as a 82C. (Field Artillary Surveyor)I've been using GPS since 1989. That unit then was around $5000

3. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Although my MOS (02D, Bandsman) meant I never had to rely on military coordinates, I do prefer them I know US Cavalry used to sell a GPS unit called the Patriot that could give position in military coordinates for about $200-300. I never heard of it called easting/northing. Our coordinates were just the letters of the gridsquare, followed by the numbers.

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

The letters gave you the big square and the numbers are the easting and northing. Very easy to use just wish I could get the maps like that.(with the squares)

5. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Standard 1:50,000 topo maps have them. The letter grids were created by the USGS, so any decent topo map will have them.

6. bigoletruck

bigoletruck Newbie

I bought a garmin etrax 3 weeks ago and it has the ability to be set up to read the military grids. i paid 110 for it!

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

This is an old post, but I've got a Magellan GPS 315 that provides easting the northing coordinates. I also bought one of the grid overlays that helps find accurate positions on topo maps. Got the GPS at Walmart for $148.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

8. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, especially since you dug way back to find this post!

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Ditto like Harry, have the Magellan 315 (GI Joes for $129 [​IMG]), great units............ah, technology.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com