Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GPS reciever for a laptop

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Oct 22, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone ever use one? Looks cool and useful, but I don't knowanyone who has used one.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was gonna get one till I researched the subject quite throughly. I ended up getting a Magellan Meridian Color. It works great in the woods, while traveling and anytime/anywhere. Fits in my pocket and I'm very happy with it. Bonus............it plugs into the laptop by serial port/usb adapter and works with my Maptech topo maps, a aerial photo program I have and EasyGPS too. Live positioning with the topo or aerial maps with track recording and route as well. I'm amazed how well it actually works! Oh it also works great with MS Streets and Trips!

3. cbbr

That's what got me thinking about it. I have a friend that has his GPS hooked to his laptop and it works great. I have just started looking but it looks like a GPS reciever is about $50 - $75 as opposed to the $400-$500 that a GPS costs.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

True, but I carry my GPS in my pocket or saddle bags of the motorcycle and in the boat. Fogged in once in the boat, cruised, albeit slowly, back to the dock. 18 wheeler overturned, blocking the country road on the way to Galax, Va. and we had to find another way there through the country and wasn't any problem then at all. And use it GEO caching and to mark good fishing spots, neat places I want to research at home, like a kool river/stream I want to find out more about.

5. cbbr

That is definately an advantage to a GPS. Maybe I will just kep my eye on eBay.

6. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I have a DeLorme earthmate GPS reciever for my laptop and it is invaluable to me.

The best part is since it keeps track of where you are at any given moment you can see if you missed a turn before you get to the next land mark. That can really save you some time if your in an area where exits are 20 miles apart.

I really like the idea of the Magellan Meridian. I have to carry a handheld in the woods and have a seperate gps reviever for my laptop, but when I upgrade I will probably go the route Dontoe did.

All-in-all though I paid like $115.00 for my Earthmate with the software and for what it is I couldnt be happier.