Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GPS that will hook to lap top for US navigation.

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Grim-Reaper, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Anybody set something like this up?
    I'm getting ready to buy a Burb to pull our Airstream. I want to do some cross country runs. I plan to put external GPS antenna up and I want to tie into a laptop with maping softwear so I always know where I am.
    Recomendations?
    Pictures of your set ups?

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I have a Garmin 12XL stuck on the dash with no external antenna and get pretty good coverage. I don't have any pics at the moment though.

If you don't need/want one with a built in map and/or display and only plan to use it with a laptop I highly suggest one of these. They are perfect for laptop operation and no need for an antenna. They are also about the cheapest ready to go GPS reciever out there.

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^That's a quarter in the pic

This picture gives you an idea how small it is. They are weather resistant so you can just stick in on the roof and be done with it.

I use mine for both finding my way in the woods and for a vehicle tracking system using ham radio. I can see where my truck is on the internet anywhere in the world /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Click here to see where my truck was last tracked.

Oh yeah... I know you're a smart guy but if you need any help setting it all up just let me know.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

pretty /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif much all of them will hook up to a lap top nowadays...even my cheap Magellan 320

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pretty /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif much all of them will hook up to a lap top nowadays...even my cheap Magellan 320

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. I would try to find on with a USB connector rather than serial though. Personally I would still get one with a screen. There might be times when you want to step out of the truck with it or put in another vehicle or not have to wait for the laptop to boot up.

Honestly the bigger question should be the software on the Laptop. You'll want one with good maps that are updated fairly often and obviously one with that takes GPS input. DeLorme is pretty good.

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

So what is the total cost??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Total cost of what? The GPS I posted or my setup?

The Delou gps I posted costs $89.95 for the serial version or $99.95 for the universal version and the USB version. It apears that they also now come with mapping software and free shipping.

The total cost for my setup is a bit hard to calculate.
    The main things involved with my setup is a GPS receiver, a 2 Meter radio with antenna, and an encoder to take the output from the gps and transmit the info on the air at specific intervals.

The only thing I didn't already have was the gps and the encoder. I picked up my Garmin GPS 12XL off of ebay for around $100 and used a TinyTrack3 available from Byonics. I bought mine as a kit for $32 but can be had ready made also for $62.

If one were to pay full prices for everything needed for the type of tracker I setup it would run about $300. With some smart shopping on ebay or at hamfests the price could be much less though.