Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GPS Users - More accurate positions

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Mudzer, May 4, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I just read the Government has removed Selective Availability, resulting in more accurate GPS positining. Go to this link to read more. http://www.igeb.gov/

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I use the same gps in the Blazer as I do the plane, real nice knowing where you are and how to get back there at times.For those who have not played with one, I leftmy drivway in Indiana, drove to Virginia Beach then to Rockland Maine, back through Canada crossed at Detroit and then back home to Indiana, the gps was off by 5 feet when I got back to the drivway. For guys it is great, no asking directions again![​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

The President FINALLY did something worthwhile! (I still don't think I'll vote for Algore...)

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I believe they finally realized that since they mandated GPS as the primary (and d@mn near only reliable) method of navigation and approach control, they better give the aviation community the full precision of GPS. I mean, jeez, they're only controlling the approaches and landings of multi-hundred thousand lb. passenger-carrying aircraft to a spot of earth maybe 200 ft. wide in zero-visibility conditions...nothing really important. Of course, my big bosses in the Pentagon (aka Puzzle Palace) probably have their hands on the switch if they decide we need to cause some hatred and discontent in a foreign land. Can't have the bad guys knowing where they're at, you know...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

To you guys using GPS in your rigs - Do you have a mounted base unit and a receiver/antenna that you remote mount? Seems the GPS units I have seen require direct (upwards) "viewing" of the satellites. Thanks for the clarification..........

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The Trimble one I use for flying has a remote powered antenna that can be stuck on the windshield.Otherwise you are kinda stuck with line if sight.

Hey Jarhead, I rode left seat in a 53 one time, was like a caddy compared to the 46, I got 3300 hours right seat time in...

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well Eagle, I've logged 0.3 in a Phrog (in the cabin, of course-I'm still trying for some stick time before I get off active duty), and it's not something I'm proud of! LOL.. I imagine the 53 you flew in was an Alpha; the couple reserve pilots I fly with that have Alpha and Delta experience say the Echo is just slightly rougher all around. I can safely say that, with 3300 hrs in a 46, you've got bigger cojones than me! I imagine there's a lot of green ink in your logbook...
    Semper Fi, Marine

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Came back from overseas in 71 got the ride in 73.....not sure of the model, that was before the tail rotor locking solenoid starting coming loose in flight and making chop suey of the 53's till they figured it out. Saw a nasty one at New River in 74, they was taxiing to the runway and the tail rotor just decided to go to blade fold position...course it was not as bad as the blade seperation on the 46's the same year...

9. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

You mean blade seperation in a chopper is a BAD
    thing? I can see it now..." HEY WAIT! DON'T WE NEED
    THOSE!!!...AAAAWWWW SH*T!!!
    Appreciate the service from all who were
    nervous.

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Due to internal corrosion the leading edge of the rotor blades would seperate at which point the blade would come apart...not a nice thing, not a pretty aftermath....

11. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey guys who ever uses GPS systems what is the average cost of one of those systems it sounds real good I would like to have one, I sure can use one of those for hunting or traveling thanks.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Juan,

Actually the Garmin GPS12 is really competitively priced at around $149.95 . This model is a good beginner GPS and is real helpfull when hunting, Fishing, Wheeling or whatever. If you have the money to spend, I would recommend the Garmin GPS12XL. This model sells for around $190 or so and has provisions for external antenna mounting where the GPS12 does not. In a Blazer whith the top on, it sometimes gets a bad reading because of the top. Cloud cover does not affect them. Another bonus, they just removed Selective Availability and that makes them even more accurate. Get one!

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

13. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Just about any GPS is a good one. The $150 ones are better than the $400 2 years ago. I use mine alot for hunting. Saved my butt 2 times, but then again we do some pretty extreme hunting around here.