Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GPS - what are you guys/gals using?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BurbinOR, Jul 25, 2000.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Getting close to buying a GPS and wanted some real world input on what you guys are using? Magellan? Garmin? External antennas? Mounted on the dash?

Let's hear what works and doesn't. I am looking at a Magellan 315 model..........but want to hear from the experts using them.

Thanks.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

2. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

I got a Magellan ColorTRAK for Xmas. Works great has more options than I'll ever use. Was about $350.00 if I remember. It also is for use on water if you fish, or take a wrong turn in your BLAZER.hehehe I've heard alot of good stuff about Garmin also though. Read my post father down the list about GPS website..it has alot of reviews and info.

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I would recommend the Garmin GPS 12 XL. I actually have the Garmin GPS 12 but it does not have the external antenna option. My GPS 12 works great but I have been in some think cover that had a hard time locking on. I like the features more of the Garmin rather than the Magellan 315. First off, Battery life. Garmin is about 40hours or more and Magellan's are only 15 hrs. What if you are out in the wild for over a day, dont you want to have power to the GPS? LOL, anyway the Garmin is better in my opinion. Garmin offers great support. They are constantly updating the software to make it better for free. I also use my GPS with Delorme Topo USA program. It works great, I can upload and download waypoints, routes and tracks. I use mine every time I go offroad, and even before I go offroad. I even use it around the house: "I need to go to the garage, which is the closest route" [​IMG] Just Kidding. I have some other useful tools that I use with USGS 7.5 Minute Quadrangle maps. I have a longitude/latitude ruler (email me if you want one)that I can calculate exact coordinates from the map and input into the GPS. Man this thing is great. Like I said, spend the extra for the 12XL to get the external Antenna option so it will always track with your top on. It will track with the top on regardless, but it would get a better signal with external antenna.

Good Luck

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What do the antenna's look like?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]