Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gps

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Nov 26, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm looking for a GPS. I want to spend no more than $250. It must be able to hook up to my laptop so I can use more detailed maps. What do you use and how do you like it?

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just had this conversation with my brother last night. He bought a Magellan, and was on his way to return it.
    He was thinking about some $1500 unit. He's brilliant, a frigging Nuclear engineer, yet he can't understand the concept of money management... Like it's a waste if he doesn't blow it as soon as or slightly before he has any...

Well anyway, I'll ask him, he's a little bit of a research-before-buying nut...

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I recently picked up an Garmin eTrex Legend at Wally world. Including the PC interface cable and the dash mount deal it cost me a tick under $250. They have all sorts of map software you can buy as well, although the software is a bit spendy...

I'm still learning how to use it all, but it's not that complex. The mapping software allows you to upload a detailed part of the map to the GPS unit. It does have built in maps that are pretty decent, but the software stuff is supposed to be amazing.

Anyways, i think it's a great entry level GPS unit that has a lot of bang for the buck. Most important to me was PC interface and available mapping software.

Rene

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I grabbed a Garmin Rhino 120 for this years hunt. I think you should check this baby out. FRS and GMRS radio combined with GPS and downloadable maps for everywhere. Probably well under your budget too! I paid $200.00 Canadian.
    www.garmin.com

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Both Garmin and Magellan interface easily with XP and you can use MS Streets and Trips or I use it and Maptech Topo Maps for real detail of topo GPS locations and routes and tracks. There is a free one that I use to that automatically downloads aerial photos and topo maps if you have a fast connection. It is the BOMB!!! I'll look up the free download location for ya and everyone else here in a bit. Just walked in the door from our Tellico trip. Kool too, that ya can look at all actual route we took through Tellico on aerial maps and the topo map! :D

Oh, it's "Easy GPS" doh! :doah:

http://www.easygps.com/