Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gq1: Axle, Std Ratio????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Mar 22, 2005.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

What is the "standard ratio"???

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

this is a fun one for those who have no clue

GQ1 means std ratio for the drivetrain installed/ordered in the vehicle

it could be anything since its not listed on the SPID label

youll have to pull diff cover to find out what it is

dont try counting tire revolutions or some other crap, there will still be uncertainty

good luck

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As implied, you'd have to know what the standard axle ratio was for *that* engine/transmission/destination/truck combo.

If you check out dremu's Blazer brochure page, I think you can figure out GQ1 for a K5 and some burb's, etc., simply by selecting which engine, transmission, and federal or CA for that year. The chart in all of those brochures I *believe* gives the base axle ratio. Been awhile since I looked.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

still will want to pull diff cover anyways,

you will never know for sure whats in there til you do,

axle may not even be original, you cant tell by looking outside of it

GM put the GQ1 ratio in yours, IE the default ratio- for the drivetrain ordered/installed in the truck,
    and there almost always was an optional one available, sometimes two,
    but obviously an optional one wasnt ordered/installed in yours, and instead the GQ1 one was installed,

its funny liek that... yeah

but it makes perfectly normal sense once you see/understand how the ordering available options RPO's system worked, every year for the new model years being ordered GM dealers had a book for the chevy trucks(for example) called chevy trucks specifications, listed in it were std equipment installed, and available options, model info and so forth, all the RPO codes and options costs were in there and descriptions of the options also, and what equipment came with options, and when options were or were not available(with certain engines, trannies, models, etc,)

once you have looked through a specificatioons book then you can fully understand how the RPO and std equipment and optional equipment systems worked

chevy sends you copies of pages of the original for a certain year and model when you order a resto packet from their 1 800 number,
    there are different sections such as conventional and gasoline, std equipment, optional equipment, engines, transmissions, etc,

good luck

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hard to tell

I saw the "GQ1 Standard ratio" listing on a lot of GM trucks at the boneyard--
    *Most* of them turned out to be 3.08's,a few were 2.73's-(on 1/2 tons anyway)-but the only definate way is to pull the cover like everyone else suggested--I find its best to pull it anyway--saves you from getting it home and finding it full of broken gear teeth or other damage--its best to find that out BEFORE you spend hours pulling it out,dragging it home,only to have to return it!...:crazy:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes you will want to pull cover off any axle before buying, unless youre just a real good gambler,

i have billions of spid labels stashed away from years of snagging from parts rigs, previosuly owned rigs, rigs in yards, rigs of friends', etc, etc, i snag onto any spid labels i come across still intact in a truck, i probably have a few hgundred of them now, alot of them are GQ1 yeah

very commonly seen, but unfortunate nowadays when we would like to know what was originally installed in the truck, but if you have chevy specifications options ordering sheets copies for your make and model then you can see what gm was putting in the axles with the drivetrain installed in the truck,

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No tags...

I liked the "good old days" when a tag was put under one of the cover bolts--saved a lot of time and aggravation--my 72 K5 still had the tag on the front diff!.
    One disadvatage to tags though--someone could swap one into another axle with different ratio than the tag says,to make a quck sale at a sawp meet or dishonest bonyard--I always pulled the cover when selling one to someone,just to be sure they "jived"...cant be too careful nowadays...:crazy:

If GM can stamp "GQ1" on the build sheet,why couldn't they print "3.08" Ratio on it too??--take too much ink??--I have seen a few that did list the ratio,mostly on the C-60 and larger trucks,but a few 1/2-1 tons too--too bad they didnt do it on all of them--but those stickers get lost,or junked when the inner fender rots out and is changed.. or the glove box door can get swapped,so you cant trust them anyway I guess..:confused: