Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gracie ju-jitsu

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rdn2blazer, Aug 12, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

so I took my son to a free trial class at Gracie Ju-jitsu, Royce's brother is the Instructor there along with a few othere brothers and a bunch of there younger children too. he had fun and wants to sign up and go every week. so we are going to do it. its 55 bucks a month for once a week and we ofcourse have to buy a gee which will run about 50 bucks.

I loved high school wrestling and want my son to get into it also. this will allow him to allready be advanced once he get into high school. hopefully with our encouragement he will stay with it for a long time.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Before dropping the cash look into other locals. We pay six bucks a week for Tommy to go to much the same sorta classes.

3. rdn2blazer

I think I made a typo, I ment 55 per month for once a week course. wow, 6 bucks a week is a great deal. I dont mind the money since my woman and I are splitting the cost.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

5. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

$55 isnt bad, especially with a Garcie instructor. Fun stuff! I did a little Ju-Jitsu a few years back, I wish there was a Do-Jo around here.

6. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Thats a great price, and a actual Gracie is the instructor, even better.
    And it would be cool if he stays with it and takes this training into HS wrestling.
    Maybe a little Ju-jitsu after practice to adjust any attitudes.:wink1:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I checked here at a local place the other day and it would be $80/month for my 6 year old.

For thoe that have taken martial arts classes - Anything to look for or stay away from when signing up little guys?

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I'd stay away from any sort of pay up front, long term contract - if you have the option, go month to month in case the little one loses interest after a few times...

Also, take advantage of free trial lessons if available, and just observe the classes a few times before you commit to anything.. see if the school is run like a boot camp, or if the akward, non athletic kids are stuck working together all the time, with no one really showing them the right way to do things, are the instructors and senior students actually patient with the kids, do the kids look happy, etc.. etc..

I guess the best way to say it is that there should be enough " fun " in the class to make the kids enjoy going, and there should be enough discipline and work involved so that they get something out of it.

Tom

9. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Just don't let him into the Octagon with Matt Hughes:D

10. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Belt factories " Sign up for this plan and your son or daughter will be a black belt in 2 years " I asked how do you know ? You have known my daughter for 15 minutes. How do you know how well she will learn ? What you mean is if I pay you $2000 you'll give her a black belt. Guy turned about 3 shades of red. I thought he was gonna ask me out on to the mat.

If you can stay away from contracts. Its hard to do all the dojos around here use contracts. Stay with the shortest contact you can to start. The monthly fee will be higher but you wont be stuck for 2 or more years.

Watch a few classes and talk to parents. See if the kids like coming or are being forced to by mom and dad.

See how much time the head sensei takes up with a class.

What rank are the other instructors?

How long has the dojo been open?

Know that there will be other fees along with the monthly dues. Promotion fees,uniform,fighting gear ,etc. In some dojos its considered disrespectful to buy these things from some where other than your dojo. ( I can buy what ever I need from my Sensei for about the same price or less than on line anyway )

11. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Good for you. Martial arts are great for kids. Team sports are good but martial arts is all on them. The pride they get from a promotion or winning tournament is a wonderful thing to see.

12. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i did martial arts as a kid. i would love to go to a gracie class. those guys are top of the scale in there art form. maybe youll get to meet royce, that'd be super cool.

13. rdn2blazer

there posters of Royce and all the brothers and there dad all over the place.

there is going to be 5 top Pride fighters at the BEST BUY here in Torranceon Aug, 16th doing promotion for there DVD realeases, Mark Colman, Fedor Emelianeko, Josh Barnett, Mauricio "SHOGUN" Rua, and Phil "THE NEW YORK BAD ASS" Baroni who I cant stand and I love to see loose.