Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grade 5 and grade 8 bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Nov 9, 2006.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I know grade 5 bolts are marked with 3 lines on top, how many lines for grade 8. I am mounting anchor hooks on the new bumper with a 12000 lb winch. I want to go to the heavier grade bolts.
    thanks!

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i think its 5

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Typically it's 6 lines for grade 8, 3 lines for grade 5.
    But not everyone adheres to the standard. Most do though.

4. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

thanks

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, most should have 6 lines on top... but not all do. You definitely want gr8. It is stronger than a 5 in every way. Don't listen to any clowns on the net who will tell you that a 5 is better at anything other than being cheaper.

j

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The grade eight bolts have a line pointing to each corner of the bolt head. There is some other funky grade with the same amount of lines not aligned with teh corners i think......(from my engineering Design book).

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've seen some companies use dots instead of lines for their grade markings. Just remember that a grade 8 will have a mark of some kind at every point of the hex head.

8. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

This might come in handy.:thumb:

9. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

not true

a grade 8 bolt is stonger because it its harder on the Brinell Hardness scale,t herefor making it more of a crystaline stucture which is stronger in every way, except for shear loads. a grade five bolt being softer is more mallable and will strech when a side load is applied. a grade 8 will shear. thats some thing to keep in mind, it depends on application as to whether a grade 5 or 8 is better for the application. a grade 8 will shear before a 5 will. a 5 will pull apart before a grade 8 will. grade eight's strength is for clamping force, if the bolt will ever see a side load on it, a grade 5 is better. flame away , but thats how it is. some1 try and disprove me and find some evidence to support my post. not tryin to be a smart ass, but that be the truth. and tow hooks are in a shear load position with the frame, therefor a grade 5 would hold it longer before you reach a failure. any other engineer's on here, any1's dad a engineer? ask or post up
    http://www.americanfastener.com/technical/grade_markings_steel.asp
    heres you markings but i'll find something else to prove my point

this is a good read too http://www.americanfastener.com/technical/grade_markings_steel.asp

this too http://www.zerofast.com/torque.htm

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

11. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

also watch where you buy your hardware. Home Depot in particular has really low quality fasteners. Produced offshore, they don't actually meet the specs for the grade they say they are.

12. blazin_blazer

in cegusman's post on page 9 its says that is a myth, but i have seen it demonstrated by a bolt manufacturer. the 8 will shear while the 5 will strech then break. the grade 8....has the composition made to shear, its so dence and hard....its kinda like a banana is soft and will flex some, dip it in some liquid nitrogen(like hardening the bolt it makes the molecules denser and align...now take it out of the nitrogen it will shatter like glass

13. blazin_blazer

14. blazin_blazer

use the grade 8's what i witnessed may have been set up to get my employer to spend more on bolts , because everthing i have found backs up that it is a myth, and i got taught that while going to school also, guess i learned somthing today.thats a good thing

15. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So was the manufacturer trying to sell Grade 8, or Grade 5? If it was 5, I thought those were typically LESS expensive? Or was your employer looking for a bolt that would shear instead of bend?

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

And all of this isn't even half the story, you also have to have the appropriate torque. Plus fastener nuts typically side one way or the other, lubed or no lube. Bottom line, study the links.:D

17. jekbrown

too quote Billavista...

"...and while Grade 5 fasteners may exhibit the necessary strength in some applications, in others they do not, and the lower strength and possible misuse of them is simply not offset by the marginal cost benefit. Grade 8 bolts exhibit greater tensile, yield, and shear strength as well as greater fatigue resistance and, just as important, are capable of greater torque specs and therefore much greater pre-load and clamping strength."

the "grade 5 will bend, while grade 8 will brake" theory is bogus... that may be how they fail eventually, but under an identical load that bends a grade 5 to the point of failure, the grade 8 is still holding strong. Those charts were cool.. and in every one of them the gr8 has higher specs... :thinking:

j

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

No, you are wrong. A grade 8 bolt will have a higher shear strength than the same size grade 5 bolt.

Will a grade 5 bend more than a grade 8 when exceeding their shear strength.......sometimes. If you apply "X" amount of shear force to a grade 5 it may very well bend, but apply the same "X" amount of shear force to the grade 8 bolt and nothing happens at all because you have not exceeded the shear strength of the grade 8 bolt. Keep in mind that even if the grade 5 bolt is still holding the pieces together, if it's bent then is has suffered a severe degradation in it's strength and will completely fail soon (assuming the function of the parts it is holding together have not already "failed" because the bent bolt is obviously no longer clamping the pieces together as it did originally).

Will a grade 8 usually break before bending.......probably. But part of that reason is because it requires such a high shear force to make it fail, that the force is simply high enough to shear the bolt........and of course the grade 8 is harder so it will deform less. A grade 5 bolt would of already of completely failed in shear long before reachiing the amount of shear force required to fail the grade 8.

A grade 8 bolt can bend before it breaks....I've had it happen on my truck.

FYI - I'm a mechanical engineer.........

19. jekbrown

yeppers... and we can't discount the higher resistance to fatigue that Grade 8 hardware has either. If a bolt is going to get loaded every single time you use your rig (suspension bolt or something), then over time the grade 5 is going to weaken/fatigue faster than a grade 8. It'd take someone with mad engineering skillz to tell us the exact effects over a specific time frame... but in any case, I plan on keeping my K5 for decades... and I don't want all my hardware snapping off 5 years from now just because I went cheap with them grade 5s.

j

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Bless the jeeps before going into battle.:D