Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grade 5/grade 8 bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, Sep 26, 2005.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

so this has probably been covered somewhere but i cant find it... i needed bolts for my engine crossmember, motor mount bolts, and other various bolts for the engine.

my question is.. are the grade 8 bolts at my local hardware store(osh and home depot)different then those used for automotive purposes? I know arp has some bolts.. is it really necessary to send away for bolts?

2. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I just bought some grade 8's for my engine crossmember from the hardware store. They dont even sell bolts at my local automotive parts store. You cant go wrong with ARP or grade 8's...

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Grade 8s are grade 8s. Im gonna get a whole bunch, cause Im replacing many bolts around the Blazer because of age, and the old ones were really hard to get off. A little rusty too. Yes, a hardware is a good place to get them at.

Just be mindful, if you replace the bolts, also use grade 8 nuts and washers. A lot of time they are overlooked.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Theoretically, G8 is G8, assuming they actually meat the spec.

However, look for local bolt suppliers. Not only are they generally much cheaper than HD and the like, but they also have more options (Zinc, Black, Crimp, Nyloc, etc.) And buy a box at a time if you can In most cases, I can get a box for about what I pay if I buy 1/2 the contents separately.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the real problem with bolt warehouses is that they usually sell in big quantities. i dont need 100 7/16 grade eight bolts.

usually though, you can get somebody who works in the warehouse that will grab you some bolts from the shelve, as long as you have cash. :wink1:

i got a butload of bolts/washers/nuts for real cheap that way :wink1:

ryan

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Russ,

I believe USDA is actually the governing body for "meat specs"!! :D :haha: :D

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Unless its like for the torque converter or flexplate I just go down to my local Ace or OSH and get some grade 8's. I have a buddy and now my cousin who works at OSH so I get a pretty good price (nudge nudge). My local parts stores usually just have basic carb, header, intake bolt kits. I'll usually use those. Head bolts n the such I get out of Summit. But basic crossmember, tranny, or suspension harware I just get from hardware store. Havent had any problems.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Farm store

I find that "Tractor Supply" or farm stores have a large selection of bolts at much lower prices than Lowe's ,Home Depot,or a hardware store ,in my area anyway..most of the "big box" stores only have a set of drawers with only a few of each size in grade 5 or 8,and they are often 1$ or more each!.

(I've had to go to 3 stores just to get a dozen bolts before--wasted a lot of time and gas! :doah: ),where as the farm/tractor stores they are in huge bins,and are at least half the cost!--they also carry many "weird" bolts like carriage head plow bolts that are grade 5 or 8,good for bed bolts,and a few other out of the ordinary ones..only bummer is the tractor store is 12 miles away,Lowe's is a 1/2 mile--but worthless if they dont have enough of what you need!..

The "Industrial Supply" warehouse type places nearby often sell only box quantities,and treat the general public like morons--if you walk in and don't know exactly what you want,they just about tell you to get lost,or charge list price..unless your able to say "I want a box of 1/4x20 x 1" bolts".they dont even want to talk to you!.. :crazy:

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

LOL! Meet the meat head... :doah:

Our local "Copper State Bolt and Fastener" gives me no problem with onesy-twoseys, especially in larger size bolts. But, I usually do buy boxes, then I just add to my "on hand" convenience collection. However, I can't imagine going in and *not* knowing what I want. How would that happen? Sometimes I go in and ask for a specific shank length, but don't know what bolt length it takes to get it, but that's about the only way I can think of that I wouldn't know what I want, and could expect to get it anyway.

10. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

ive been buying G8s at Menard's.

a 20 pack of 1/2" nuts was under $2.
    a pack of 10 7/16"x2" was also under $2.

so anything like 1/2" and under was pretty cheap.
    the big 5/8"x4" bolts for the dana 60 were $2 for $2.

11. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

sweet so many replys.. now i can rest easy:) :laugh:

12. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

the 2 big bolts that came with my ord motor mounts were grade 6 i think...

there is a hardware store a mile from my house that is always empty, as soon as you walk in they have isles of all kinds of bolts, and unless im getting alot i can usualy buy the bolts with change from my ash trey, i guess im just lucky.