Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grade 5 --Vs-- Grad 8 Safety Issue?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 3, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

My local hardware store only carries grade 5 in the 1/2" size bolt I was looking for I asked for grade 8 but they only carried 9/16 and 3/8 in grade 8. Now I am using these 4 grade 5 bolts to mount my class III to my frame. Should I be worried about these things sheering off? I wouldn't think so but everyone swears by grade 8 stuff. Just scary thoughts cross my mind as the guy told me I wouldn't tow any more than two tons. Wheeling and using the hitch for a recovery point I am sure the stress can reach near and over that of two tons. Whats the real specs behind the integrety of the two and is there really that big of a difference?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I would search the ORD forum for that info, unless someone helps you here , because there was a great post on this w/ all the tech info awhile back... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. BowtieBlazer

Thanks for the referal...will do. I am looking for the tech info anyway on like strength in #'s tests etc.

4. BowtieBlazer

Exactly what I was looking for....worth a look if you don't know the difference already.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ord&Number=434409&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Still a bit confused on whether or not it is better to have a smooth shank resting on the parts bolted together rather than thread. In otherwords having a bolt that is smooth with a little thread at the end or a fully threaded bolt. I am talking under 2" in length of a 1/2" diameter bolt.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The smooth shank is always gonna be stronger. It's a requirement for any bolt installed on an aircraft. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif