Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grade 5 vs Grade 8

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I found a good page on the differences and shear strength of each...good reading material /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Bolt Grades

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that's a good one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Good Article! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks,
    John

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Good Info!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks for passing it along! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Very nice find, thanks for sharing the info.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That was a good read!

7. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I really had no clue about any of that.
    Thank you for posting the great info. I'd love more articles like this one.
    thanks again.

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Now I know a lot more about fastners that I never knew /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for posting that up

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this is why when i replace a bolt on my rig... its ALWAYS grade 8 or stainless. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    this is why when i replace a bolt on my rig... its ALWAYS grade 8 or stainless. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, Most stainless fasteners are Grade 2 equivalent, some are what I call Grade Zero. Use them only in cosmetic applications, never in load bearing applications unless the bolt is so rediculously huge that this won't matter.

11. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I would never always use grade 8. Most of the stuff on your motor is grade 5 anyway. Some items are ment to have some flex or distortion. Ask Steven watson what they send out with there lifts and other items. Some things may very but grade 8 can be over kill sometimes and could cause problems. Stainless is not only grade 2. ARP makes complete engine bolt kits that are stainless. There are different grades there too just not always marked on the head of the bolt. I have been selling fastners for 8 years glad to see the interest. I tell people that junk everyday /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I generically consider all hex headed stainless fasteners to be Grade Zero unless I know where they came from and then I consider them to be no better than Grade 2. That keeps me out of trouble.

Even ARP has had trouble with high strength stainless fasteners. They pulled their stainless head bolt & head stud kits off the market a while back because of yielding below the specified torque values. Don't know if they have re-introduced them or not.

There is a 'stainless' alloy available that does make good high strength fasteners. It's called Carpenter 20. If you find some of that stuff cheap would you let me know ?

As to the linked author's contention that G8 is not too brittle and can be used in place of G5 in applications where ductility is required. Sorry, Don't buy that. I've seen G8's snap in applications where the previous G5 merely bent. Yes, it got bent all to hell, but it was still in there unlike the G8 in one particular instance which popped it's head off and disappeared.
    If I need more strength than a G5 I go to MS spec hardware or use HoloKrome SHCS's, depending on application.