Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Graderball/one link revisited.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryan22re, Oct 18, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Been poking around the internet looking for functional/reliable graderball/one link suspensions, only a handfull of threads here, and the only ones I can find on pirate are about the blue scout (from 2004 no less).

Doesn't look like there are a lot of supporters in favor of the one link. I would think if well designed and thought out, that it could work fine. I've been looking for something better than the actual graderball, that's a little more refined and possibly stonger. Something that would allow you to replace the ball instead of welding it directly to the one link. Also anything that is greasable and sealed would be a plus too.

Ideas? Pics/stories of broken graderball/one link setups?

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've been wanting to try this too..... I think it could work better for a front than a rear tho. Still it may even work for the rear.

I've been trying to convince myself to just use a 2 5/16 ball. Then use a "bulldog" style hitch (I think that's what it's called.... :dunno:) and modify it for grease injection.

Marv

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Maybe a big rig u-joint and a free spinning yoke would work.

4. marv_springer

:laugh:...... I better get that damn 1710 to work for something...!

Marv

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Thats the same setup that a buddy of mine runs. All of the 1 links that I have seen the rigs hopped like CRAZY, its just the nature of them. You want to get the link as flat as possible or it will get worse. IMHO its a crappy design that isnt good for anything but slow crawling over rocks, no ledges or anything that you have to climb.

6. marv_springer

Well...... actually I lied a little....

I've been wanting to do a variation of this. Basically, using the 1 link concept for a triangulated lower set of links built into 1. The either run 1 centered upper link AND a trackbar, or 2 upper links (either | | or /\ )......

The advantage would be $$$... and that you could have a great "skidplate/lower link" setup.

Still.... the simplicity of this setup intrigues me. Sometimes you just gotta try this stuff to see if it will work. For example, I never thought the rear of my "Marvzda" would work.... and it actually works damn good!

Marv

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There is less hopping in a front application but the torque lift is insane. Long and flat are ideal. Also being able to winch the front down regularly really helps. I think it would work rather well for the beetle.