Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"graderball"??

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by sled_dog, Sep 29, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Re: \"graderball\"??

thta looks like arelly col setup, witht he right maintnence it should last forever!!! looks really beefy /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

A guy that used to be in my 4x4 club has one on his scout with full width axles. That thing has a crazy amount of flex!!!! Another guy in the club is aquiring all the parts to put a graderball setup on the rear of his blazer with a mazda pickup body. I think he already started the teardown.

Kris

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

IMHO, I think all of the "Bully Dog" or "Graderball" suspensions are the utmost in redneck booty fab.

As it has been stated/debated on pirate, they tend have bad roll axis numbers, break, they're heavy, and physically large.

There are certainly better, safer ways to go about a link suspension.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dunno... all i know is that Truck Nuts are very disturbing... lol!!!

j

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Brian, What do you think of running a "single" link system on a samurai with a 1.25" Rod end for the link end portion on the frame? I think that should be stout enough for my samurai and should work fairly decent for the price.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it's a cool idea, and all the haters should STFU.

Not everyone cares if their link suspension passes the calculation numbers.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I think it's a poor idea and that all of the Calculation Haters should "STFU".

Not everyone wants to build their linkage suspension 37 times b4 it works the way it was intended to.
    You don't have to do a computer model of the design to sort it out. You can do a full scale chalk layout on the garage/shop floor to see what it does or doesn't do. The whole idea is to only cut metal once. How you get there is not important.

The single Torque Arm, blessedly, went out of favor with the end of production of the Torque Tube Ford design in the 40's. For a crawler Sami I'd look at what SpiderTrax did, and copy it.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I do not think it is by nature any more "booty fab" than radius arms, 3 links, etc. For some reason people seem to have adopted the term "booty fab" for anything that does not meet their criteria or particular sense of "proper". How someone can arbitrarily call a suspension system that has worked very successfully on many commercially produced vehicles (Mogs are a relevant example) as well as competitive vehicles is beyond me. An implementation can be "booty" in the extreme, but I've seen equally pathetic implementations in both "torque tube/arm" suspensions and triangulated 4 link or (take your pick).

It's just another way of implementing a suspension, and like all others, it has pros and cons that must be analyzed to determine if it's right for you. Otherwise you're just winging it and hoping to get something that works "well enough". And you can't even go by what you see others doing since their goals may be weighted differently than yours, or they *may not even realize* that their solution could have been much better with more planning or a different design.

The pro/con issues stack up in various categories along side those of other suspensions and allow us to determine which way we want to go. How important is cost? Is unsprung weight an issue? What weight vehicle and where is the CG? (Location of CG may be important in that you may require a virtual link intersection to control things like anti-squat and roll axis) What intended usage? Do you have room for the style or sufficient chassis mounting points? Do you want to make a major change to address deficiencies in the existing chassis? How important are each of the geometric factors like anti-squat, roll axis, torque roll, asymmetric jacking, and so forth? How important is simplicity of implementation? How important is tune-ability and of what parameters? And on and on… These are the things that play into choosing a suspension design, not what some self professed expert here or on PBB (which seems to have an abundance of these) decrees as "the" proper way to implement a suspension. There are no easy answers, all you can do is try to gather up the research and make an *educated* decision for yourself. I've been thinking seriously about linking for more than a year. At times I've considered the torque arm style suspension as well as most every other possibility. But because of issues with my current chassis that cause problems for most all of the options, I have not implemented any of them yet.