Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grafting a 1st gen windshield support onto a 2nd gen K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 29, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ok, I wanna chop the top off my '85 and I remember someone talking about grafting a 1st gen windshield support system (whatever its called) onto a 2nd gen becuase its stronger and won't flex/break the glass like the wheeny 2nd gen one will. Anyone have links to write ups or threads on this? I did a search, and since '1st', '2nd', 'gen', 'chop' and 'top' are to short to search, I couldn't find chiat. ;)

barring that, anyone figured out a good way to tie a 2nd gen windshield frame into their full cage? pics?

j

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I have never seen anybody do the full frame swap just the top of it to be able to use the hard top.
    I my self have pondered this and because i never want to use my hardtop again im going to just weld some flat stock arounf the window frame kinda by where it meets the firewall.
    hopefully that will work if not i will run soem square stock or tube down the window channel to beef it up a little bit,
    Also keep in mind you need to do something to strengthen your rockers or the cab may/will buckle

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You're more or less stuck with using a 73, 74 or 75 windshield frame, unless you're wanting to do something different and I'm not understanding you.

I don't recall hearing that any one of the three years was better than the others, and I haven't heard about glass cracking problems either. I'd have to poke around a little and see if I can find a pic of how I did mine. Basically used some round tube approx 6-8" as pegs that went inside the windshield frame and bridged the area getting welded.

The body will need some form of support to keep it from sagging as well as excessive twisting when wheeling. The 73, 74, 75 and oddly enough the 76 all came with rocker boxes under the floor for extra support and rigidity. Without the rocker boxes your options are basically limited to caging the truck.

Rene

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the rig is gonna be fully caged. Would it be smarter/easier to just figure out a way to tie the front of the cage into my current windshield support? Gotta be a way to do it, maybe with some bushings to allow it to move a little bit independant of the cage (just in case the cage takes a HARD hit, it doesn't tweak the windshield frame) I dont really care what it looks like, but I want a factory style windshield, and I don't want it breaking all the time because of mad body flex.

stock rockers are coming out and heavy-wall box tube will be replacing them... that should help firm things up, and the cage is going to attach to the body in a whole lotta places. Im not really worried about body flex in general really... just around the windshield.

j

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't attach it to the windshield frame because even a little body flex may end up cracking your windshield. I'd try to tie it into the firewall area behind the dash if it's possible. I haven't really looked at it yet, just a thought.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My cage goes through the dash and is very close to the windshield frame in places. I didn't tie into the windshield frame at all, and even all crossed up with the hardtop off it doesn't flex the windshield frame at all. Once you get the windshield frame in your hands you'll understand...it's actually quite beefy and there are many layers of steel.

I may eventually tie into the firewall/cowl area just as a bit of overkill. Honestly, with the cage the body tub itslef hardly moves at all. I do still get some twist in the front clip, but that part of the truck isn't caged (yet...lol)

Rene