Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grand cherokee tows?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by shaun, Oct 12, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I am purchasing a 97 Jeep Grand cherokee limited 5.2l with a class IV tow hitch and upgrades. It says it can tow 6500. The question I have is will this tow my jimmy. As the jimmy sits right now it is 3/4 ton on 33's soon to be on 36 inch iroks. 350 700 241 10/14ff. There is just two seats in the interior and the rear will soon be narrowed with a sheetmetal floor. I will be putting on a fiberglass front at some point also. Then later a cage. Do you guys think the Jeep will have many issues. I only sseing myself towing on long trips since the jimmy will still be street legal, reg, ind insured. Any opinion will be appreciated.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I saw one towing a big ass travel trailer yesterday on 80, the rear end was squatting like crazy but it was dooing 70mph so ...... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't personally tow a K5 with a Grand Cherokee. A buddy of mine tows his 'glass body CJ-7 with his Grand and it does pretty good, but the Jeep and trailer combo probably only weigh around 5,500 lbs.

- I doubt you could get a K5 on an appropriately sized trailer to be under 6,500 lbs. Most trailers of that size are at least 1,500 lbs., so the Blazer would have to be under 5k.......that's really light.

- The wheelbase of a Grand is fairly short.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

IMHO, I wouldn't.

Tried towing one of my lightest rigs (Aluminum head 350 - TH400 - 208 - 10B Front and rear - Aluminum wheels - 30" Tires - no backseat or interior)
    with a beefed K5. It was not pretty.
    It has a 383 and TH400 and a 14B, 2.5" lift. Its just too short. Made the K5 squat pretty good and it had to be loaded just right or sway was terrible above 50mph. IIRC my trailer weighs 1900lbs by itself. Plus my 5000lbs K5 is over "your" limit or right at it.

Soooo, with that said, the Grand will most likely do it. However you will NEED a weight distribution hitch, sway control, good elec brakes, good tires (on the tow vehicle), and a good brake controller. The tranny in the Grands' are not known to last, as is the T-case.

You are basically maxing out your vehicle, prolly even over its rating. The less than 1/2 ton components may not last too long.

Just my honest observations on this.. Hope you take it as that. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would not tow anything with a vehicle that doesn't have a frame.

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And once agian we have a wonderful, information filled and insightful post by Tim.

Back on topic.
    I would not tow long distance with that setup. It is getting a ways out there as far a reliablity and safety are concerned. I also am a firm believer in having a good amount of power in a tow rig. The Jeep has a good motor but it is going to be hard to maintain a good speed.

I have towed more with less though so I can't say don't do it. If you decide to go this route just get the correct equipment and setup.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Weight distribution, anti sway, and a good brake controller.

You can do it then reasonably safe. In stock form, its pushing it a little to much.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And once agian we have a wonderful, information filled and insightful post by Tim.

Back on topic.
    I would not tow long distance with that setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Open mouth, insert foot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Open mouth, insert foot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does he need to insert foot? You are the one stating innaccurate information. A Grand Cherokee does in fact have a frame via unibody construction. Those vehicles may not have a ladder frame like I think you are reffering to. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. miniwally

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where do you get that I would not use that setup to tow period. I belive that says long distance. Let me define my idea of long distance, 500+ miles one way is a long distance to me.
    I would tow all over the place close to my house with a Geo metro as long as I could make the Tailer brakes work. I would not however take that setup on a multi day long hard trip. Reason being that I know it could be better. I.e. Diesel motor truck bed ect.
    It will do it and be fine with good equipment. It just won't be as good as it can be.

11. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Well plans are changing. I am now looking at the grand with a 5.9l full exhaust, k&n cold air system and upgrade throttlebody. It also comes with front and rear sway bars and weight distributing hitch. He has a trailer brake controller installed but he wants to keep it so I will get another one. I am not looking at towing often or many long distances. Do youthink 4 or 5 times a year will be to much where on the ZJ or with proper maint will it be ok?

12. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

If you really have your heart set on it, go ahead..

But IMHO you really need, at absolute bare minimum a 1/2 ton truck. My preferred choice is a 3/4 ton truck, and thats what I have. My dad also tows and so does my brother, they both also use a 3/4 ton.

My .02,
    John

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where do you get that I would not use that setup to tow period. I belive that says long distance. Let me define my idea of long distance, 500+ miles one way is a long distance to me.
    I would tow all over the place close to my house with a Geo metro as long as I could make the Tailer brakes work. I would not however take that setup on a multi day long hard trip. Reason being that I know it could be better. I.e. Diesel motor truck bed ect.
    It will do it and be fine with good equipment. It just won't be as good as it can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you won't trust it on a long trip, what you're basically saying is that you know it's not safe, but you're willing to take the risk for a short trip.

Vehicles without frames are not made to be towing vehicles. That doesn't mean it can't do it, or it won't do it.

14. miniwally

[ QUOTE ]
    what you're basically saying is that you know it's not safe

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Reason being that I know it could be better. I.e. Diesel motor truck bed ect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does that say I think it is unsafe Tim? I understand that it says it could have more power, more storage, and handle towing that kind of load better. I don't know how many multi thousand mile trips you have done towing a trailer but I have several under my belt. I can tell you that you want the most comfortable riding, largest tow rig you can get. After 500 or so miles of the back of the vehicle moving up and down excessivly you really don't want to feel that anymore.
    Now is that movement unsafe? I don't think so. Maybe you do?
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you won't trust it on a long trip

[/ QUOTE ]

Once agian read above.

[ QUOTE ]
    Vehicles without frames are not made to be towing vehicles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you come up with information proving this point?

I have to turn to the manufacturers and government controls over vehicles.
    I wonder why the manufacturer gives these unibody vehicles tow ratings if they are not made to be towing vehicles?
    I guess they could be wrong. That must be what it is, the manufactuer and all of the governmental control is wrong.
    Or???? Maybe this is once agian your opinion being stated as fact.

15. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Timmay, answer a question for me. Would you tow an average Blazer with a vehicle that does have a 9200# GVW, 4000# Payload, available 7.4L 230HP V8, 4L80E transmission, 14BFF Rear Axle (4.10 ratio available), 146" Wheelbase, and many other tow friendly options? Let me know if that seems acceptable to you.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Timmay, answer a question for me. Would you tow an average Blazer with a vehicle that does have a 9200# GVW, 4000# Payload, available 7.4L 230HP V8, 4L80E transmission, 14BFF Rear Axle (4.10 ratio available), 146" Wheelbase, and many other tow friendly options? Let me know if that seems acceptable to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds exactly like my tow rig, except you could get a 240 HP 454 in 1987 IIRC. Only thing is, my tow rig is 131.5" wb, otherwise identical to your specs.

17. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

OK, how would you feel about that qualifying tow vehicle having a Unibody construction (or as you put it, "no frame" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif). The truck I described is a G30 Van from the mid 90's. Example:

[​IMG]

BTW, IIRC TBI 454's had 230HP and 385TQ, the Vortec 454 starting in 96-97 was the next jump for the BBC in trucks, although I do seem to remember the TBI engines having 405TQ for a year or two before Vortec.

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Ummm, are you sure that van is a unibody????

19. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    Ummm, are you sure that van is a unibody????

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing.. but didnt know for sure... I always had thought they had a frame..

John

20. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

The G20s are unibody, dont know about the 30s though.