Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grand finale on 14bff question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Jul 10, 2006.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

Well i just got a 14bff from a fellow member, and all went well, i planned on leisurely swapping it in the k5 as i could, no rush, blah, blah live happily ever after.. all hell broke loose, and now im under time constraints and my backup vehicle i was driving until the blazer is fixed has blown up and i could go on. So i have never done anything with rear-ends before, so ive got some questions i want to ask: (ill just tell you what im doing though it may not be a question, so just jump in with your $.02 if you would do something different)

1) Brakes. It's been sitting for a while, and i open up the brakes and everything is together quite nicely, spider webs and rust, but together. I want to get everything done before i put it in the truck. So i was just going to replace the shoes and cylinders for the hell of it and have the drums turned on a lathe. The brake lines on it are kinda mangled, will the ones from my 10 bolt match up exactly or should i replace them with new ones? They look a lot like the 10 brakes, just bigger. Will there be anything different from the 10 bolt? How about the parking brake, will the hardware and stuff from the 10 bolt match up??

2) Seals, gaskets, etc. So i found out the hard way (and ignorantly) a full floating axle has a lot more to it than a sf. while i have it apart should i replace the seals on each end? What about the bearings, is it easy to tell good ones from bad ones?

3) Specifications. I looked at the 14 bolt bible from Pirate, but couldnt find the spec's one how tight to torque down the spindle nuts. Anyone know??

I forgot to mention, as usual, im on a budget.. no really, i have no money to be spending on this thing, and already i spend $35 on two sockets (one for front hub, one for rear), and now the brakes, gaskets, etc. are adding up, but i also want to do this right. Thanks a ton for everyone who has helped me thus far, and will in the future.. Any advice, tips, anything, is appreciated..

EDIT: and what about U-bolts?? im assuming i will have to get new ones of a different size? will they assemble the same, i saw a diagram that depicted the 14bff having a completely different way of bolting the springs to the axle, and different components. can someone fill me in there?? divorced is sending me the 14bff spring plates this week (actually, for free and he's paying shipping, for no reason. helluva nice guy), but is there anything else i should be tracking down?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

its best to replace the seals, wheel cylinders, and pads.
    your 10 bolt brake lines will hook up.
    you parking brake cables most likely NOT hook up. i am in the process of figuring out how to make mine work.
    you will have to get 3/4 ton ubolts

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So the U bolt in my V2500 Suburban will bolt right iinto my 14bff?

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here is what the spring plates will look like. You will need new u-bolts because the 14 bolt axle tubes are larger diameter than the 10 bolt axle tubes.

[​IMG]

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

'

it will! I went from 14sf to 14ff last summer no problem at all.