Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grand IDEA!! Steering System

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cris, May 4, 2003.

1. cris

cris Registered Member

Hey anyne I have had a great Idea for a steering system for straight axle GMs I really think It's better than stock, better than cross over, And I've only told a couple close friends to see if there would be a problem with it so far it's perfect, they think it works and the best part is you keep your Stock 4WD gear box and would work with or with out hyrdo assist anyway how would I get an Idea patented or sell it To Co.. any one any one For ORD intested??? Cris Ramos San Antonio TX I think I'm gonna build it for my truck make sur it works but basically it's simple /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

NO TEASING!!!!!!!!!!! If you are going to post new ideas then share with the rest of us. Don't just post to brag and not share. Common sense would say, search the net for patent companies.

NO Flaming me either!!!!!!!!! Just adding my 2 cents

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Just to let you in on the jive.... Patents are very expensive and very time consuming! If that wasn't the case then the bottom line is a lot of crap would be patented and not just for sale! You have to put a request in to patent an idea, than hire the patent office to do a search to verify that your patent doesn't infringe on someone elses patent or that there isn't already a patent out there for your idea! following that, patent don't work for themselves, if someone does use your idea, than you have to take them to court and prove that they are using your idea and even if they modify it just slightly, it's another new idea, therefore you might have to get multiple patents or come up with a patent for just the key aspects of your idea inwhich are the key parts to it! This is why noone a has patented crossover, or high steering, or doublers... You patent an idea, not a product, therfor you need to be able to word your idea in a manor thatexpresses your product without describing something else too.... like the doubler, gear boxes mated to gear boxes have been done forever, that's the idea, but 205 to 203 haven't, that's the product...... UNPATENTED! Hope this helps... Usually big corporations patent things cause they can pay the lawyers to search and destroy potential infringers.... It's a very expensive action!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Let's go a step further...there are no 'new ideas'. There are plenty of variations of old ideas packaged as new ideas though.

I've seen a steering system that induces no bump steer whatsoever, isn't cross over, uses the 4WD box, and works at any angle the front end may be at just as well as if the diff was level. A hydraulic cylinder is physically attached to the pitman arm and a mount on the frame. The pitman arm moves the cylinder through it's stroke.

A second cylinder is hard mounted to the diff and the steering arm. The two cylinders are plumbed to each other so as one compresses the other also compresses and vice versa.

It's a great system, as long as it can bled 100% and you're very confident that the lines aren't going to leak anytime soon.

It's also not street legal and kind of scary if you have any sort of failure of the components. There is no mechanical link between the steering box and the front end...

I'd consider it on a trail only rig...maybe./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Was this your idea?

Rene

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I was speaking with a steering expert the other day. (I call this guy an expert because he did some small things like found AGR and now PSC.) He has been building steering systems for over 20 years. He said they are building some full hydraulic systems like that these days, but they scare the crap out of him to drive. The biggest problem is that without the mechanical linkage, you have no "feel" of the road or surface. It basically becomes a point and pray kind of steering setup!

6. cris

cris Registered Member

re: no that wasn't my Idea I guess you guys are right about all the patent stuff I just figured a guy could make a buck. And I didn't say it had to have hydrolic assist it works with or with out it. I'll draw it up and post it I guess later and yall can tell me what you think.. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif gtg to work now bad computer..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif