Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grand national

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stizkidz, Aug 12, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a buddy in school who had that exact car. It was one badass ride. :waytogo:

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

One of the most beautiful GM platforms ever made . You can do many things to them . With a few bolt ons , you can have a car that handles , accelerates, and stops better than many cars costinmg way much more new . Buy it , fly in , get a temp tag , and drive home :D

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Amen brother.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

one of the very few bodystyles i like from the 80's... the twin-turbo one on the dyno is sick...

6. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

Looks pretty good.

One thing I noticed is the air intake system appears to be stock and the narrative says it has a ram-air system.

Also, says 3 inch exhaust, but he may mean downpipe.
    The tail pipe doesn't look 3 inch to me.

It has less miles than mine, if it hasn't rolled over.

7. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

sweet ride, drive down with a friend and drive it back, it aint all that far........

8. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

you could give me greyhound and gas money i'll bring it to ya, ofcourse you will need new rear tires.... :D G-body's are the best ever esp the GN's. my first car was a cutlass and it was sweet. IIRC the GN's were the fastest cars made by GM while they were produced and still got 25+ mpg.

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I remember when those first came out, and I happen to own a 1970 Buick Grand Sport with a pumped up 455 at the time (cam, headers, higher compression, and all that kind of stuff). Early one Sunday morning I met up with one of those brand new Grand Nationals on a lonely canyon road. The Grand National pulled along side of me, and started eying my old 1970 GS. He motioned to me that he wanted to race, so when we came to a straight stretch of road I nailed the throttle, and got it going from about 45-MPH to 130-MPH in about 2-seconds. I put about 30 car lengths on the guy in no time flat, then I backed it down having proved the point "There is no replacement for displacement".

10. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

45mph to 130mph in 2 seconds! Musta hit a wormhole or something! On the GN, there are shippers that will ship it for you for under 800, but the price seems low to me for the mileage and claimed condition.

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I said "ABOUT" 2 seconds. It could have been 3. The amount of time it takes to accelerate from a dead stop to any given speed will be MUCH greater (about 3 times as much) than the time it takes to accelerate from a rolling start to any given speed. This car had the stock 3.23:1 gear ratio, and it was very very fast from 60 MPH up to it's limit (about 140 MPH), but because of it's weight (and gear ratio), from a dead stop it was like trying to get a battleship going. The engine in this car was very built, and was making easily close to 500 HP, so getting this car going from a rolling start to 100 + MPH took only a few seconds.

Believe it or not, I beat a Lamborgini with this car from a rolling 60 MPH start to 120 MPH (can you say "450 + ft. Lbs. of Tourqe"), but after I reached 120, my big American V8 engine started to run out of breath, and the Lambo walked past me like I was standing still.