Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grandad's Jimmy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brad, Mar 28, 2000.

1. Brad

Brad Registered Member

Grandad\'s Jimmy

Hey everyone, I'm new to the Blazer/Jimmy community. Yesterday my grandad gave my his 1984 Jimmy 4X4. What an honor. It has 37,000 original miles on it. In fact, everything on it is original, except the tires (original size though). The engine is the 305 5.0L I think, it could be the 350 but I won't see it until next week when I pick it up. Anyway, I was wondering what you all would recommend as far as lifts, tires, lockers, transfer cases, transmissions, engine performance mods (fuel injection vs carbs), headers, exhaust...I think you get the idea. ANY help would be appreciated as I am totally new to these vehicles. (current 4X4 is 1982 Jeep Scrambler that is now for sale)Thanks, Brad

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Grandad\'s Jimmy

Brad my friend, first thing I would suggest is to start back on page 20 or so and read most of the questions and answers on here. You will be well informed in no time at all ....[​IMG]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Brad. 37,000 miles huh? Sounds pretty high. You better sell it to me before something breaks. lol. Just kidding dude. Do what Eagle says and you'll learn a ton.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Brad

Brad Registered Member

Well, I stayed up for about 4 hours reading through the previous posts and learned a lot. However, I didn't see much info about fuel injection kits for carbed motors. Any opinions? Also, I would like to put a 4" lift kit on(springs front and rear) and noticed several people using 2" blocks in addition to th springs to keep the butt up. Any advice on choosing a lift that I won't have to use the blocks? Thanks for the help. Brad

5. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Do with this what you will. In only ten years (just a pup, I know). I have learned alot of very hard, very expensive lessons. My advice about all the fun mods. youre talking talking about is DONT do anything yet. Maybe find some 33" mud tires and GO 4 WHEELIN'. Dont go really big and break stuff. Just cruise around and get to know your truck. How she handles, the different reactions to different terrains and obstacles. Find out what you really want to set her up for. Rocks, mud, speed, driving or a mix of all.
    What Im saying is dont just jump in without knowing what you want and what she will allready do. Unless youre stinkin rich then we will tell you about some REALLy fun stuff.
    LOVE YOUR TRUCK AND SHE WILL LOVE YOU!

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

clap...clap...clap
    very well said DangerB [​IMG]
    I have been building my rig for 7+ yrs now so take your time and do one mod at a time and do them right.
    Good luck
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

7. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

And dont forget to stroke her dash and call her a good girl when she deserves it. Or a kick in the door and some obscenities when she forsakes you. Welcome to Chevy world anyhow, always nice to see a convertee.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>harder, faster, longer, stronger</font color=blue>

8. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I concur with the others. Thing that strikes me is only 37000 miles in the past 16 years. I'd start by checking all the seals, change all the fluids, check or have everything checked...and then read all the posts in this board! (kidding!) You didn't say if grandpa rode it once a week for a few miles to keep her seals moist.

Have a blast with it and welcome to the crew!

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

9. Brad

Brad Registered Member

Grandpa did run her 1-2x a month, but not much more. I thank you guys for your help. The hard part is going to be waiting to modify her. As soon as I sell my Jeep I'm going to have some $$$$ and I can see that it will be really easy to spend it quick. I'll keep reading the posts and learning, and I'll keep you updated with the Jimmy and have more questions for sure. Brad

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey Brad, how much do you want for your Jeep CJ8 Scrambler???

ken

11. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Brad if you get Skyjacker front and rear springs you will be very happy with the quality. That's what I put on my Suburban. I used cheaper (read sh*tty) springs from Stupidlift and regret it. One of my front springs bent within 3 months of wheeling. No problem they have a lifetime warranty, not. They told me that it only covers sagging. Huh? Don't all springs sag eventually?
    CB

12. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

don't spend all of your money in one spot and for gods sake don't eliminate the quadrajet carb, it's one of the best all around on and off road carbs available. For the difference in mileage you're better off keeping the carb.
    I agree that the seals should all be at least checked for leakage.
    then before you go spending $$$ on lifts and stuff know that I have a 2.5 inch lift on mine that works very well off road, but you can reverse the rear shackles for 4" of lift very cheaply then get 4" lift springs for the front , This will let you keep the stock rear springs for god flex.
    if you want to spend $$$ on her then the 2 most important upgrades in my opinion are swaybar disconnects, and gears, I like the 4.11:1 but if you're planning on running 35's then you might want 4.56:1
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]