Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grandmas giving her 72' Pontiac Ventura to me

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by MilpitasK5, Sep 22, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Grandmas giving her 72\' Pontiac Ventura to me

It only has 70K on the original block! I know it has a 350 but other I don't know jack about it! Anyone here have one? What should I do with it to make look and run crazy!!

Thanks,

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Grandmas giving her 72\' Pontiac Ventura to me

Is it a 2 or 4 door model ??? 2 door models are very buildable, 4 door models are drivable, but not as dezirable when it comes to building a hot rod. It's all about that mighty dollor when it come time to sell. So how much you put into it, verses resale, verses what it's worth to you, ...ect. Should have a BOP-TH350 trans, not sure what gears. Is it a 4bbl or 2 bbl ???

3. MilpitasK5

It's a 2 door model. I'm not sure if it's a 4 bbl or 2 bbl but I know my dad has a 4 bbl double pumper here that I need to get rebuilt so will I be able to swap that out?? I know it's a 350 so I can do something with it... I think the interior is cherry too.
    Thanks for your input!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Talk to DesertDueler. He's got his 350 running better than anyone ever has.

Sweet car, man! Wish my grandmother had cars like that!

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I guess the big question should be: What do YOU want to do ??? The are pleanty aftermarket parts avalible. Do you want to build a hot rod out of it ??? How much money are you willing to put in it ??? Do you want to stay all Pontiac, or are you willing to use Chevy parts ??? I ask becouse building a Chevy motor would be cheaper then the Pontiac motor. Swaping in a Chevy motor and tranny is pretty strait forward. Might have to relocate the motor mounts, but thats no biggie. Just a thought, but you could build a SBC, drive the car as it is till you're ready, then do your swap. That's just an option you could think about.

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Building a Chevy motor is not cheaper than building aPontiac motor, that is just a myth. DO NOT PUT A CHEVY MOTOR IN THAT CAR! Sorry, I'm a Pontiac purtist - I hate there is a Chevy motor in my 92 Firebird. Heck, I'd put a Pontiac motor in a truck if I had a truck to throw one in!

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll dissagree with you on that one. Check prices on about any preformance (Aftermarket) parts... ie intake manifolds, pistons, rods, cams,...ect. The ones for the small Block Chevy (SBC) won't cost as much. Add it all up and it's quite a difference. I understand being a pureist, but Pontiac is still Genreal Motors just like Chevrolet. Either way, I'd start with a different motor and drive the car like it is till the hot rod motor is ready to go in.

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I have priced them out, I seem to have accumulated a fleet of Pontiacs here. It might cost a little more for Pontiac stuff, but not enough to really matter. I'd start with a different motor, too. I'd go for a 455 Pontiac!

Nothing makes me sicker than a Chevy motor in a Pontiac. I'd rather look at a rusted Pontiac with a 455 in it than a show winner with a Chevy motor, but that's just me.....

9. MilpitasK5

Well, I understand the pureist point of view as well but I'm gonna be on a major budget being that I'm still building my K5. I know I want to get rid of the Vinal top and I have to fix one dent.
    Also, I'm a big Chevy fan! I really want a 65' Chevelle. I don't know much about Pontiacs but either way, I'm no big mechanic so I wouldn't know anything about pistons, cams and all that stuff (not yet anyway /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ). If everything that's stock for right now, is still in good condition, I was just thinking headers, duel exhaust, and some flows. I was hoping that would hold me up until I finish building my K5. Who knows when that will be though. I'm going back to school in the spring so I don't have a full time job anymore. Even when I did, I didn't get paid enough to build my truck! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Anyway, let me know what you guys think!
    Thanks for the input!

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

If you have any questions about the Pontiac motor, there are few Pontiac guys here that will be willing to help you, me included.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ahh, a high school hot rod. Headers, duels, some crome, and maybe a high rise intake manifold. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am going to say stick with the pontiac motor, since well most of you know I am a pontiac freak. And Z3PR, I will put my pontiac 350 up against any chevy 350 you want. Mines a stock bottom end except for 30 over and forged pistons. Heads are stock 2 barrell heads with no porting, stock valves. 9:1 compression, edelbrock intake, and holley carb. With a 150 shoft of n20 it runs 11.1s in a 3550 lb car with me in it. Oh yea the tranny is stock with a $25 shift kit, and a cheap 2500 stall. Rearend is a 10 bolt with 3.70 gears and an Aburn pro posi. Any questionslet me know.
    BTW I have yet to see a chevy 350 with as little work done to it run as quick as my car /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Dan

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I never have been a fan of the 350. I think they're good for building a 383 stroker out of. But you've got to admitt there are alot of choices in aftermarket parts at resonable prices for the SBC. I'm a big fan of the (Dart 2) 64cc heads. Love the way they flow. Specially if you match them with a (Dart 2) intake manifols. I don't have nothing against a Pontiac motor, I just think I can build more power with the SBC for the same dollor amount. Yes, build mostly with the aftermarket parts. I do like Crower ultralite 4340 forged steel crankshafts. I'm sure you can get these same parts for other makes, but how much more would ya have to pay ??? I'm a poor boy, so I've gotta get by cheaper. Not like it was when I had money too spare.

14. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am just saying, that with stock parts I can keep up with guys that have aftermarket heads, cranks, and all that. And if you look pontiac stuff is starting to come way down, so its getting alot cheaper to build them.
    BTW you cant make a pontiac 350 a 383 since pontiac 350s and 400s use the same crank.
    Dan

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was refering to to the Chevy 350. It's good to hear the price on the Pontiac parts are coming down. I'd love to get a very early 70's Grand Prix with a built 455. I've always liked that body style

16. MilpitasK5

Yeah! Pretty much just a high school hot rod for now. I really want to finish building my K5 up but I need to find a good source of income first!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Once I'm done with my K5, I'll be getting into this Ventura deal for the next. I want to be able to tear apart the engine and do all this cam stuff too! Right now, I don't know shizz about building a "real" engine! I'm glad I was able to find some Pontiac gurus on this site /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .
    Thanks again for your input!

17. MilpitasK5

Okay guys!! I got it! This rig is nice! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It actually has 82K on the engine but is almost immaculate. I know I need all the guages b/c all is has is fuel and speed. It still hauls ass on the freeway and at the light for a stock car.
    Where do I get parts for this thing. I tried JCWhitney but it didn't recognize the make and model. It started right up after I changed the battery and runs like a champ. It's got a coolant leak somewheres (didn't get much of a chance to look for it) so I won't be driving much until I find the leak.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Try Ames Performance. I think they have stuff for your car. JC Whitney won't have [censored] for it.

19. MilpitasK5

Great. Thanks.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For preformance parts, I like Jeg's. 1-800-345-4545.