Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Granny 4 sp

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DANL, Mar 31, 2002.

1. DANL

DANL Registered Member

I have 72 k5 350 w/granny 4 sp and 3.73 f/r diff. Could easily use a 5th gear. Can granny be swapped with late model 5 sp?
    Any help appreciated.

...Dan

2. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

You might want to do a search on this site for "NV4500". Its the most common 5-speed swap but from what I hear, its pretty involved.

Evan

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Unless you do a whole lot of street driving, I don't think its worth the money or hassle. The tranny alone I think is over $1000. Just my .02. Like aksidentproan said, do a search on it and let us know what you find.

Will

4. DANL

DANL Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I will check out the site and let you know.
    I'm looking at around 12k per year and am not wanting involved and expensive. But another gear would be nice.

...Dan

5. MuddyMudSkipper

MuddyMudSkipper Registered Member

I looked into the NV 4500 swap also but decided against it because of the price. The cheapest I could find was about $2500. Advance Adapters sells the bellhousing conversion kit and the tranny itself is really expensive. I don't remember the exact prices for each but the combined price was around $2500.
    Jeff

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I spent nearly $3K on my NV4500 conversion a few years ago and it was a used setup (some parts were missing). A friend did the swap and bought the parts last summer, the total coming to a bit over $2600 for a new tranny and adapter set. I helped with his and a couple of other swaps. The swap is fairly involved and does require some fabrication.

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

$3000??!! Damn thats a lot of money. I'll stick with my 465 grindbox. Oh well, sometimes it seems there's no price too big for our vehicles. I would love to have NV4500, but can't justify the cost.

Will