Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grant Steering Wheels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Anyone here have a Grant Steering wheel, any model? My stock steering wheel is kinda big (16" diameter). I see some Grant ones with 13.5" diameter. Just wondering if the adapter kits you get for them is a direct bolt in? I just want to hear yalls opinions on these wheels. Thanks
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

hey boss, i used to have one on my ride till i took it apart. if you think a wheel doesn't make a diff. in driving and comfort,,guess again....my girlfriend bought me one for my birthday,,a REALLY nice one too..i loved it!! bolting it on was pretty easy,,you do have to pay attention though!!! actually getting the old one off may be the hardest part...you may need to rig a puller or something..i just ADJUSTED mine as i was sure the grant i had WAS going on in someway!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I have a grant steering wheel, and I hate it! It is way too small. Also, I cant get it to fit strait because of the wireing harness for the horn. The plug sticks out, and does not allow you to put the steering wheel on the splines the right way. Mine is about 30 degrees off. The best i could do. I am sure you could rig it up to work easily if you cut or drilled a hole in the backing plate. If you want a really nice steering wheel, pull one off of an 88 to 95 Chevy truck. They dont have air bags, they look nice, and they are thick like the Grants. I think they are about the same diameter as yours, but they look a heck of alot better. That is what I plan on doing when I finish my interior. Just my opinion.

Sparky

78 K-5

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have this one[​IMG]It is wood with metal center.
    I like it cuz it has the finger grooves on the backside and that helps me with grippage on the trail!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Yeah,, I have one,,, at first it was kinda strange being so small,, but now I really like it.

[​IMG]

BTW, Sparky,, to get it straight,, you have to adjust your likage on the drop arm, not the steering wheel it'self. As you can see,,, it fits just fine,, horn button and all... Oh, my wheels are turned in the pic.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've got the same exact Grant GT that Todd has and love it. Another option that I used on 3 of my other Blazers was to buy a Camaro steering wheel from the 70's (any year or model).........they are very nice and go right on with no adapter or problems with horn hookups. Usually can get them at a boneyard for $20.00, too. Pic of the Grant on my website, page one photos.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Boss,
    I've had a couple of Grant wheels in the past and I have no complaints. They're relatively cheap, nicer than the stockers and there's a lot of styles to chose from. Another feature is their security adaptor that allows you to remove the wheel. I had one of these on a Camaro and I was pretty happy with it. It does bring the wheel out about 1 1/2". BTW My next wheel will be a Grant.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have one of the wheels from the 88-95 trucks. I think the ycame on all chevy trucks from those years because I've seen it on all the other 88-91 K5s I see.

90K5

9. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

I too have the Grant Challenger with the rubber grip. Although it's smaller than stock I really couldn't stand how thin the stocker was. Mine went on straight. The only problem is centering the horn button. I can't get a grip on it to turn it inside the wheel. (Minor problem.)

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I've got the 88-95 style in my 87. Looks good and usally can get for around 30-40$ in junkyard and won't need an adaptor. I think dia. is 15 inch. Did have a grant g.t. in a 442 and liked it alot.

11. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

12. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I got the smaller 13" and I wish it was a little bigger. Maybe the 14" like the others would be ok. Even with the tilt steering, it blocks my MPH and fuel gauge a little. The steering adapter seems to get a tad loose and I have to tighten it every so often. I was going to get a stock 89-91 wheel until I found what the dealer wanted. I think I'll eventually buy a larger 14" Grant wheel and sell this one.

[​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

13. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Hmmmm... Nope!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

14. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

i love my grant wheel. right now i have a classic in wood. it cost about $80. i did have a challenger series in black, but i wanted a wood one so i gave it to a buddy and put this one in. very easy to put in after you do it the first time. btw, the horn part is the hardest on the challenger series wheels.

here's where there is a couple of pics.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~philmo1/wheel.jpg
    http://home.earthlink.net/~philmo1/seat2.jpg

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My old truck had a grant 13.5 steering wheel. It was ok but still kinda small. Oh yea....that was the only piece of my truck that would get ridiculed. People would laugh when they saw it, they said "Your truck is really big, but my car has a bigger steering wheel than that". Anyway, I like the steering wheel that came with mine from the factory. It has a good feel to it, and I have some big hands so I guess it just fits me better.

http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com
    [​IMG]

16. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have the exact same one as todd color and all, I like it because I don't feel like a truck driver when I try to turn. My cap isn't in straight, do you know how to fix it? My steering wheel is on perfectly straight but the center cap is upside down.

..........and one time at band camp.........

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If your center cap is upside down, doesn't that mean that the steering wheel is upside down (off by 180 degrees)?

I also have the newer style steering wheel with the newer style upper column to boot, so my cruise control, etc. looks just like the 89-91 Blazers. I really like it.

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status