Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grasshopper Lawn Mower

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by justinf, May 10, 2006.

1. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Does anyone here have any experience with Grasshopper lawn mowers? I came across an 89 model with the 61" deck for sale.

It has an18hp B&S (V Twin I think). The engine is newer. Runs good, but it surges if the blades are not engaged. Mows good, the sheetmetal and deck all seem to be in great shape, not rusting out or anything.

The guy is asking $900 for it, but I don't know a lot about them, or what the potential problems are with them. I am a little leery of one of th drive motors going out, although it seemed to drive just fine.

Just thought I'd see what you guys thought of Grasshopper mowers.

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I operate 2 Grasshoppers here at work, both with 61" cut and 25 hp Kohler engines. We are looking to trade them off for diesel powered GH's. The Kohlers are gas guzzlers.

I'm not familiar with the older GH's. Ours we have at work are around 2 years old and have maybe 350 hours on them apiece. Both are good dependable mowers, but like any car, they require maintenance.

The big thing to keep an eye on is the air filter. They get dirty easily and quickly. Blow them out each time you mow. Check the oil everytime, too. Some of these smaller engines have been known to eat up oil for some reason. Grease all zerk fittings about every other mow job.

For $900, I'd say thats a pretty good deal as the local farm implement store would probably sell one like you described for around $2500. GH's are pretty easy to maintain providing you know what to watch out for. Parts for the older models are getting a little scarce, hence the reason the mower may be cheap.

Another thing to watch out for is the transmission on the older models. If yours is a hyrdostatic tranny, watch out for the tranny housing cracking and spilling the fluids all over the ground. Don't know why but we had one that cracked the tranny housing three (yep...3!) times before finally trading it in for another newer model. This was an older mower, too, like around mid 90's.

The GH's we have are model numbers 7125 I believe, but don't quote me on that. Both are 61" cut and one has the bagger system on it for the football field. Both are good dependable mowers.

If you buy this mower and start to go thru the normal wear and tear on it, feel free to PM me and we can get the bugs and problems ironed out. These mowers are pretty simple and easy to work on once you understand them.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Correct me if Im wrong but arent Grasshoppers just Woods painted different...either way

We have a woods 6200 GREAT mower love it 60 inch or so deck, Vtwin motor, only thing I dont like is the tires spin much to easily

The golf course I used to work at had a Grasshopper and it was I dentical to our woods it worked great to, although as previously stated a close eye needs to be kept on the air filter.

For 900 bucks Id jump on that.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Or vice versa. Can be the Woods painted GH.
    When I first started at my job, the two mowers were Woods, 61" and 48", and both were identical to GH's. Both were older models and parts were getting more and more expensive each year. So we switched to the more common GH's and parts prices went down, even though both used the same number, it was all about the name brand that caused the prices to change.