Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grear choice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bangedup, Aug 11, 2003.

1. bangedup

bangedup Registered Member

All right, it's gear time. Here's what I have 86 Chevy blazer C/W 305 (boo) th700r/203 running 373's in the stock 10 bolts.
    I run 31's on the street and 33's offroad.
    The problem is it's a dog on the street and the trail .I have to rebuild the inner seals soon so
    I will be in there any ways so what gears should I go to? I tow a 22-Ft holiday trailer and do a fair amount of highway driving with it so it has to run on the street without self-distructing
    I have no worries about the change but I do not what to do it again next year to fix a wrong choice.
    So here's the #'s I have come up with 33's 4.56 should give me 2500 @ 100 km/h and 4.88 would give me 2,700 rpm @ 100 km/h .Not to sure were I'm at now I would guess 2000 @ 100 km/h, which really sucks when towing.
    Thinking II should go with the 4.88's,then maybe I could use the O.D. on the highway. What do you think?
    BTW 100 km/h = 60 mph

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

O/D, towing, and 33s-My first thought is get the 4.88s.
    Things to think about; Will you spend a lot of time in "D" instead of "O/D" while towing? How tall are your 33s? Do you want to swap axles? (you're pulling a long trailer w/ a SWB, not a good combo if things go wrong)

3. bangedup

bangedup Registered Member

So the wife tells me today that she would like to trade in our trailer for a moterhome. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifSo towing is not really an issue any more.I do tow in D only and OD on flate highyways,
    can't use it on any sort of hills.Shifts up and down never knowing where it whats to go.
    So in guessing that running the 4.56 should be enough for the 33's.Wont be getting 35's for a while,moterhome to pay for.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go with the 4:88's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd get 4.56. the 4.88 in a 10 bolt will have a tiny pinion gear and isnt very strong. 4.56 is bad enough.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just wondering how many you've seen break. Yes it is small but the 4.88s seem to hold up to 35s, beyond that (35s) people are breaking 3.73 & 4.10 1/2 ton R&Ps w/ big tires so I'm not too sure it matters. Just my $.02

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

have never seen any break, just spitting out info ive been told. i would agree with the under 35 idea tho