Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greasable axleshaft ujoints - which way do the zerks face?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Jan 17, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I need to assemble my new Dana 60 inner and outer axleshafts. I have new Spicer greasable ujoints.
    I know I need to install it so that I will eb able to grease it, but which way should the zerk be facing? I am thinking the zerks should be pointing towards the carrier.
    -- Mike

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That would be correct, towards the carrier. On driveshafts they almost always go towards the shaft and not the differntial or yoke CV styles are a different animal and one will face the shaft and the other the flange.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I got the ujoints installed with the zerk facing the carrier. I appreciate the help.

One more question: Do the zerks have to be threaded all the way in? There is quite a lot of thread, then the hex shoulder (for the wrench.) I got them installed with about half the thread in, but they are really tight now and I can easily see breaking one off if I keep at it. I greased them and it works fine and they have free range of motion.
    I seem to remember my old 1310 ujoints having the zerks go all the way in, but they weren't spicers they were autozone brute force.
    These are the Spicer 1480s.
    -- Mike

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Only tighten the zerks until they are tight, they probably will not tighten all the way down like you said.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

thats kinda strange, not really, but mine are on the Cap of the U-joint of the axle shaft, i hear that is the stronger disign, but with a dana 60 U-joint size, i dont think it would matter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I just want to add that the zircs whoud always be in compression. </font color>

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Shaggy, care to remind me what that means? I don't remember.
    I already have the ujoints installed and they face towards the inner shaft.
    -- Mike

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

When the drive yoke (in this case, the inner axle) is under power in the forward direction, it should be pushing against the part of the U-joint that has the zerk fitting. (I.e., the zerk should be between the drive trunnion and the driven trunnion). If it is pulling on the zerk, then it can cause a crack to start at the zerk fitting. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif