Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

greasable ball joints! WTF!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Feb 26, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I installed some greaseable ball joints on my d44 axle last week, the upper ones came with snap rings for the bottom to lock them into place and grease zerks with like 45 degree angle flares to make them accessable even when installed....
    I drove maybe 80 miles since replacing them and the snap rings for the upper joints are gone /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know they were seated correctly.... Also I never could install the grease zerks because with the axle shaft in place, hub assembly and all together, when the shaft rotates it knocks on the zerk, I removed them to keep from ripping them out of the casting of the ball joint....I have no explaination for the snaprings or how to make the greasable joints work... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure about your snapring situation, but I DO have a solution for your grease fittings......

Go to your local parts store and ask for "recessed" grease fittings. They screw into the same holes in your u-joint and have to be greased with a grease "needle" that screws onto your grease gun. The recessed fittings have a spring-actuated check ball that needs to be pressed in with the tip of the grease needle- pump a couple of shots into the fitting and once you release the pressure on the check ball the spring pushes it back into place.

I hope I explained this properly. FWIW, the double-carden joint on my 208 has a similar fitting.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I dont know what to tell ya about the snaprings, but you are suppose to put the grease zert in, grease it then remove the zerts and use the plugs that should have came with the new joints.

4. BowtieBlazer

I'll go check those recessed fittings out tomorrow, I need to goto Napa or something, they are a bit more mom and pop and knowledgable than the local autozone's and equivalent

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The upper ball joint does not use a snap ring even though there is sometimes a groove for one to be there, the lower ball joint certainly uses one and should be in place. As for the zerk fittings, I have installed them many times before with no troubles of axle's hitting them. You do however need to make sure of how they are placed so that they don't interfere with the C on the axle tube, that would break them for sure, and also so that they are accessible for you to grease them easily.

6. BowtieBlazer

cool, i just saw the groove for the snap ring, i coudl have sworn it had one, however, the upper and lower looked very similar but differed in nuts and bolts and zerks included....I tried angling the zerk every which way and the shafts still hit! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

get a shorter zerk and use a differnt grease gun nozzle...i got one at napa for greaseing the ball joints on a K-car. It works great