Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greasable or Solid core u joints?.........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ive talked to 2 different driveline shops about fitting my drivlines with 1350 yokes, one says Solid core and one says Greasable u joints........ What is your opinion? im not planning on doing too many watery mud bogs, but i might do a few here and there..... thx.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i like the greasable ones better myself

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Since you live in Oregon.............:rain:..............:rain:..............greasable all the way.............heck, I'd go greasable anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

get the greasable ones napa sells.. there super strength ones... lifetiem warranty :d

like 25 bucks each.. but free replacement... :d

5. Silver84k5

im goin with the Spicer ones, lifetime guarentee doesnt get you home ;P

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

look on the back of a napa box next time you go in there and see who there made by and for...

I buy neapco alot of the time... cause the guy at the driveline shop sells them and installs them for 25 bucks...

7. Silver84k5

im just having the driveline shop put them in there when they change the yokes. are the napa ones Spicer? ill just buy my spares there. thx

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I dont think there spicer I believe there neapco......
    I too like good u-joints...
    I beat the piss outta my ones from spicer and ones from napa... I couldnt find complaints about either... I heatedall the grease out of the napa one on a trail ride and (from bad driveshaft angle) and it still held together... was looser thann crap but didnt let go... so I was impressed by both the napa's and the spicers!

9. Silver84k5

good to know, are you running the 1310's or 1350's?

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Personally I like the sealed ones better...I dont mud often, the ones on there have probably never seen mud, and its a PITA to get to the zerks on mine, so I just say f*** it and leave them...i had a greasable and a seald one on the rear driveshaft, and the greasable one already froze up after about 6 months, sealed one still going strong...replaced the greasable one with another cause the parts store was out of the sealed ones...this was August. Went to grease it in late October and grease only came out of one cap. This is why i like the sealed ones.

11. Silver84k5

what brand?

12. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I run the non-greasable spicers. they are proven to be alot stronger and they are better sealed than the greasable kind, so they keep the water out. just my 2 cents. I have had mine for about 2 years now with no problems.

13. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

ya'll ever heard of a Grease TIp needle, i have one of them U-joints that is a bitch to get to, but i use the grease tip and it works like a charm, got it for 3$ at pepboys then i realized i already had one /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, go figure, but i also needed it to grease my front wheel joints, since the zerks on the the top of the caps, id go greaseable all the way too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have to say sealed as well. I have run them for 2-3 years and the grease is still good when I take them apart to check them. My theory is that the greasables have seals that are designed to let grease get out when you grease them, so they are more likely to let other stuff in. The non greasables have a much tighter seal on them so nothing is going to get in there in the first place. </font color>

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Greasable.
    they will last a lot longer then non if you actually use a greasegun on them

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I have ran the NAPA ones up here for years. They are made by Verdic... 13.00 each and greasable. I was burnin thru them at a rate of about 1 every 3 months. I grease them before and after every mud trip, and before every trip with no mud. Didnt matter, they would pack in around the 3 month mark. Finally I got fed up and tried a non-greasable type made by Rockford. They are called extreme duty, and run about 22.00 with a lifetime warranty. The ones I put in have been there for going on 8 months now. I will never put a POS greaseable in my truck ever again. Like was said on one other reply, they let the grease out when you pump it in, and it definately lets it out under normal driving, and totally lets water and dirt in. My experiences....
    Mike

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

every moving part has to be lubed.
    if you are killing u joints in short time you have a problem somewhere, i would guess buying off shore jobber junk parts.
    if you grease them you displace any contaminants out with the old grease.
    I have never seen a ujoint spit all its lube out within a normal service interval
    I have seen the condition of the so called 'sealed' non serviceables, rusted needle bearings.

18. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, you explain it then. If there is a problem, it would be a problem with the sealed ones as well. More than double the life out of them, Ill take it. You are from Canada too, they are NAPAs #1 brand Verdic. I cant argue against results tho.

Mike

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

$13 vs. $22
    You USUALLY get what you pay for.
    Also the type of grease also plays a role. If you are pumping in grease that is breaking down, your u-joint will wear out faster. Most sealed units, use a "high pressure/high temp" grease.
    All things being equal, if you are "wearing out" u-joints (not breaking the crosses), then a greasable one (that is properly greased using a hiqh quality grease and maintained) WILL last longer than a non greasable one.
    If you do not like doing the maintainence, get a sealed one, as they are designed to put up with a higher degree of grease-neglect.

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just put a 14-bolt in the rear of my 1990 Suburban that has 159,000 miles on the clock. It wasn't lifted in its previous life, but I was still surprised to find the factory original, non-greaseable u-joints in the driveshaft, complete with the injected plastic bearing cup retainers! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif