Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grease fittings on 1/2 ton ball joints......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Feb 28, 2004.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I'm pressing new joints into my flattops, and am wondering what to do for the top ball joint grease fitting. It comes with a plug, and the 45degree bend one that is seen in this picture...
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/61561424/121637254yQNhNn
    But, that fitting doesn't seem to clear the actual axle shaft and u-joint.
    What are the opinions and options ?
    Blake

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Put the zerk in, grease the balljoint, take the zerk out, and put the plug in. That's what I did, and as far as I know, that's all you can do. Just throw one of the grease zerks in your toolbox so next time you've got the front axle torn down you can grease them again.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Put the zerk in, grease the balljoint, take the zerk out, and put the plug in. That's what I did, and as far as I know, that's all you can do. Just throw one of the grease zerks in your toolbox so next time you've got the front axle torn down you can grease them again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thats the way to do it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

thanks !

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My moogs have the upper joint fitting offset to the back (on the beval) and you can leave the greese fitting on all the time with no problems. The spicers I used to have did not have this set up though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Moogs I put in are same as az-k5s...you can leave the zerk in. But, both joints loosened up on me. I thought I had done it right. Why do they loosen up and is retightening the answer? Do they need more torque than the install specs say?

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You can also buy a low profile grease fitting that incorporates a spring loaded check ball. They require a special needle in order to grease them. I installed them on my front u-joints so I wouldn't have to do the plug removal thing.

8. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Ran into the same problem. I picked up one of those needle grease gun tips and went around the joint boot. Not sure how well it worked though. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif