Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grease is good

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Jan 22, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

One of the guys that I run with has a 90 k-5 TBI350 700r-4 NVG-241 32" bfgs all stock except the tires and 4 core radiator Yesterday morning he calls and asks If I had any front end parts I said yes what do you need ?He said "i'm not sure" " i'm stuck in elpaso and my front wheels are locked up So i went into my shop and grabbed a set of bearings and races and seals for both sides on a whim I figured I'd take 2 spare spindles and hubs Then I jumped in the k-10 and drove the hour and a half to el paso and met him at the gas station he was stranded at I jacked the blazer up and and pulled down the drivers side Hub /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif man it was bad totally trashed the inner bearing was welded to the spindle and the outer bearing had destroyed it's self and the spindle (Glad I brougt spares) I asked my buddy when the last time he greased this thing He said "wheres the Zerk Fitting???" /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif dumbass He's A jet engine mechanic. so I replaced the spindle and put new bearings and races in The my hub (the brake rotor on his hub was shot 1/4" groves on the backside sent him for new brake pads ) and reassemled that side moved over to the passenger side jacked it up and went to remove the The SUPERWINCH hub and stripped out 2 of the stupid a$$ taiwan allen bolts /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Out came the Hammer.....WHACK superjerk hub all over the ground those things aren't very stout got that side pulled down rather quickly the only thing holding that side on was the caliper !!!!! nothing left of the spindle,bearings ,races nothing !!!! so I replaced every thing on that side and put it pack together Duct taped over were the hub goes and hauled A$$ home /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You're a good friend to have...I hope your buddy learned something./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

did you take grease with you?

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The guys a jet Mechanic??????? OOOOO Scarey /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

you are a very very good friend... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Even if I made it that far and they asked me about a grease fitting /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif i'd smack em' upside the head

6. yellowK20

Yeah the last of my good marine grade grease

7. yellowK20

He's a good guy for the most part and I'd like to think he'd help me out if I needed it but the grease zerk comment was Way out there I did want smack him up side the head but instead i'll just tease him about it in front of every body It's a damn nice truck his tax return is going towards a 6-inch lift and 35" MTR's should look good when it's done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

finally someone else who uses marine grease....

I grease mine well but failed to regrease after sitting in some deep water for awhile, hub sealed water in and the hub exploded on my 250mile drive home from houston last week....grease boiled out and the bearings seized up just like that but only on one side.....I felt them going but tried to limp it home...didnt quite work...

Comments like that always deserve to be brought up down the road at some point... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. yellowK20

I run alot of mud so I Really like the blue valvoline marine grade grease I also run all my vent lines between the cab and bed I used to have an air tank in the bed with a regulator and can pressurize the gear boxes and diffs with about 12 PSI to keep water out for deep water crossings seems to work well I got the idea from a fording kit for M-series Trucks but those kits use CO2 Insteadof compreesed air Not alot of water crossings in New Mexico so Don't use it any more /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

A jet engine mechanic huh ? Now I remember why I hate to fly .

11. yellowK20

Yep on the F117 stealth fighter /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifIt is all antifreeze and ball-bearings .

13. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

MY little brother is a rocket scientist and I had to rescue His 2WD ranger.He was Suprised that a ujoint could be replaced on side of road. Was more suprised that vibe he had for nearly 2 months went away.Shadetree mechanics RULE. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [He worked fro NASA on ram jet for mars ships while in college]

14. yellowK20

Proof that theres different kinds of intelligence /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Hopefully some of that tax $$ will be spent on replacing the used parts, grease and a really big steak dinner...
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    -Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. yellowK20

the bearings and races were new Timkens the hubs were newer and the rotors were new the spindles were the only part not new he's going to buy all the stuff new and give it to me next week and he brought over 4- 30 packs of COORS today......... pretty fair trade ............. anybody want to party this weekend . He 's also going with me this weekend to help work on the new rig /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Good times with friends can't be beat. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. yellowK20

In Golden Colorado where the goats P!$$ clear It runs down the mountain and they call it COORS BEER /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif