Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grease on clutch shaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Heavymetal, May 15, 2002.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When installing a new clutch, is it normal to put a small amount of grease on the input shaft of the tranny and the pilot bearing in the crankshaft? I put a brand new Centerforce2 cutch and pressure plate, on a brand new Hays flywheel, with a brand new pilot bearing, less than a year ago. I did not put any grease on anything inside. I was getting some noise from the clutch when depressed, so I pulled it all out. I come to find that the disk is loose on the input shaft splines, thus allowing it to wobble. This allowed the springs in the clutch disk to rub on the crankshaft bolt that hold the flywheel on, thus my noise. I am pretty pissed that I spent so much money on a top of the line clutch and it did not even last a year. Is this normal? I am considering calling Centerforce, and ask to have it replaced. Unfortunately I need to have the truck back together by this Thursday evening, so I don't think a replacement would make it to me in time. What would you guys do? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

"come to find that the disk is loose on the input shaft splines, thus allowing it to wobble"

The clutch disk is loose?? How can that be? If this disk is loose, I would think the input shaft is worn.

"This allowed the springs in the clutch disk to rub on the crankshaft bolt that hold the flywheel on"

HOLY COW!!!

It sounds like your transmission is not lined up with the engine. Or you have the wrong size/style clutch disc.

Are you sure you have the right size flywheel bolts? I believe these have a head depth that is about half that of "normal" bolts.

I am about to put in a CF Dual friction for my SM465. It is a 12" disc/pressure plate and throw out bearing.

3. Heavymetal

I know that it is the clutch disk, because I have another used 12 in disk and it fits snug. I have the correct low profile bolts, and everything is lined up correctly. The thing is, the clutch worked great when I put it all together originally. The clutch surface itself is still in almost new conditon, it is just the center splined portion that has worn out allowing it to wobble and cause contact with the crank bolts.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

WOW!!! The clutch disc splines wore out???

Damn... that is scary.

I presume you read these from centerforce:

Bellhousing alignment.. maybe??
    http://128bitencrypted.com/centerforce/technical_inserts/I94MI004.pdf

http://128bitencrypted.com/centerforce/technical_inserts/I93MI003.pdf

http://128bitencrypted.com/centerforce/technical_inserts/I93MI002.pdf

http://128bitencrypted.com/centerforce/technical_inserts/I93GM001.pdf

Bummer... call Centerforce

Midway Industries, Inc.
    2266 Crosswind Drive -- Prescott, Arizona 86301
    Tel: 1-800-932-5882 or 928-771-8422
    FAX: 928-771-8322

5. Heavymetal

The splines are not completely worn out, they are worn just enough to allow excess wobble. I called Centerforce and I am going to send it back for them to inspect. I am expecting the song and dance, we'll see. In the mean time I am going to run a GM clutch.

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Bummer...

Now I am worried!

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

kinda sounds like you put it in backwards.
    how can it wobble towards the flywheelbolts?
    it should be seated against the flywheel and 'floating' on the splines.
    it shouldnt have enough room to travel forward to the bolts.
    I have put one on backwards and the springs rapped the flywheel bolts.
    pulled the motor in record time to switch it