Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grease seal in axleshaft??? help needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Sep 1, 2003.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to reinstall my front rotor, after having it turned, I swapped in an 8 lug 10 bolt. I don't know what year it was out of. I destroyed the inner grease seal (the one inside the inner bearing) trying to get it out so it could be turned. Now I can't find what part it is. the .5 ton seal is to small, the 1 ton seams to large. anyone know what year, or what vehicle came with those 8 lug fronts? or what seal I'm looking for?

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

well if its a 10 bolt, the 1 ton seal is out. If its 8 lug, the half ton seal is out. That leaves us with 3/4 ton. If its a 10 bolt, its a 78 or later.. I would try a 78 K20 front wheel bearing seal, outer. The "inner" seal will be the one by the ring & pinion carrier by the pumpkin. It shouldnt be that hard to find. let us know what happens

mike

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Both 1/2 and 3/4 Ton use the same seal. Are you sure the seal area of the hub is not damaged from some kind of previous failure ?

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

x

x

5. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

got it, it was a 78 that wound up fitting. thanks guys.